Access to the path is denied - trying to write a file

Guest

Hi;

I created a virtual directory in IIS 6.0 and my asp.net app runs fine. But
when it tries to write a file I get:
Access to the path is denied. - C:\Inetpub\wwwroot\RunReportASP\images

C:\Inetpub\wwwroot\RunReportASP is the directory of my virtual directory for
my app. In it's properties I did check "Write" as a permission.

What else do I need to do?

Steven Cheng[MSFT]

Hi Dave,

Welcome to ASPNET newsgroup.
Regarding on the "Access to the path denied..." error, it is a normal
exception when there is unsufficient permission of the current ASP.NET
process identity... What's your ASP.NET application's current IIS process
identity setting and the web.config security setting?

If you're using teh default process identity(Network Service) and dosn't
using Impersonate in web.config, then the network service account dosn't
have write/modify permissions to the IIS's default site's directory(or sub
dirs) by default... And this permission is the NTFS file permission (not
the IIS's virtual directory permission...). So you can using file explore
to grant NTFS write/modify permission to the ASPNET process identity
(network service) or the IIS_WPG group and test again....

Hope helps. Thanks,

Steven Cheng
Microsoft Online Support

Get Secure! www.microsoft.com/security
rights.)

--------------------
| From: "=?Utf-8?B?RGF2aWQgVGhpZWxlbg==?=" <[email protected]>
| Subject: Access to the path is denied - trying to write a file
| Date: Thu, 15 Dec 2005 12:32:02 -0800
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet
|
| Hi;
|
| I created a virtual directory in IIS 6.0 and my asp.net app runs fine.
But
| when it tries to write a file I get:
| Access to the path is denied. - C:\Inetpub\wwwroot\RunReportASP\images
|
| C:\Inetpub\wwwroot\RunReportASP is the directory of my virtual directory
for
| my app. In it's properties I did check "Write" as a permission.
|
| What else do I need to do?
|
| --
| thanks - dave

Guest

Hi;

I brought up My Computer, went to the images subdirectory, brought up
sharing & security, selected the Security tab and gave full control to
IIS_WPG(JASMINE\IISWPG).

Now instead of the error my web pages comes up but it then brings up the
dialog asking me to enter a username & password. When I click cancel it then
shows me the image as the little box with the red x in it.

So I think that for some reason it won't let me at that directory. The
images directory is a sub directory of the asp, but is not a subdirectory of
any of my websites. Do I need to create a website that maps ton my asp app?

If you want to see, go to
http://www.windwardreports.com/RunReportASP/ReportForm.aspx and select html
as the format.

Steven Cheng[MSFT]

Thanks for your quick response Dave,

Well, I've visisted that link and saw the problem when choose html/css
report. I think it still something incorrect with the IIS's virtual
directory security setting(since it's the static image file that is cause
the problem) Is that image folder's IIS secuirty set as "allow
anomymous"? You can view virutal directory's security setting (not NTFS
permission) through IIS manager 's "Directory Security" tab ......

Also, there is no need to create a standalone site for a certain web
application.... We can just deploy asp.net application in a virtual
directory under website....

And here is some technet reference about deploying asp.net web application
in IIS6

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/WindowsServer2003/Library/IIS/6
4ac3577-7746-4fbd-a5e6-e50bdecf7a24.mspx

In addition, you can also try posting in IIS group if you have any specific
question about IIS virutal dir setting....

Regards,

Steven Cheng
Microsoft Online Support

Get Secure! www.microsoft.com/security
rights.)

--------------------
| From: "=?Utf-8?B?RGF2aWQgVGhpZWxlbg==?=" <[email protected]>
| Subject: RE: Access to the path is denied - trying to write a file
| Date: Thu, 15 Dec 2005 20:44:02 -0800
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet
|
| Hi;
|
| I brought up My Computer, went to the images subdirectory, brought up
| sharing & security, selected the Security tab and gave full control to
| IIS_WPG(JASMINE\IISWPG).
|
| Now instead of the error my web pages comes up but it then brings up the
| dialog asking me to enter a username & password. When I click cancel it
then
| shows me the image as the little box with the red x in it.
|
| So I think that for some reason it won't let me at that directory. The
| images directory is a sub directory of the asp, but is not a subdirectory
of
| any of my websites. Do I need to create a website that maps ton my asp
app?

| If you want to see, go to
| http://www.windwardreports.com/RunReportASP/ReportForm.aspx and select
html
| as the format.
|
| --
| thanks - dave
|

| "Steven Cheng[MSFT]" wrote:
|
| > Hi Dave,
| >
| > Welcome to ASPNET newsgroup.
| > Regarding on the "Access to the path denied..." error, it is a normal
| > exception when there is unsufficient permission of the current ASP.NET
| > process identity... What's your ASP.NET application's current IIS
process
| > identity setting and the web.config security setting?
| >
| > If you're using teh default process identity(Network Service) and
dosn't
| > using Impersonate in web.config, then the network service account
dosn't
| > have write/modify permissions to the IIS's default site's directory(or
sub
| > dirs) by default... And this permission is the NTFS file permission
(not
| > the IIS's virtual directory permission...). So you can using file
explore
| > to grant NTFS write/modify permission to the ASPNET process identity
| > (network service) or the IIS_WPG group and test again....
| >
| > Hope helps. Thanks,
| >
| > Steven Cheng
| > Microsoft Online Support

| > rights.)
| >

| > --------------------
| > | From: "=?Utf-8?B?RGF2aWQgVGhpZWxlbg==?=" <[email protected]>
| > | Subject: Access to the path is denied - trying to write a file
| > | Date: Thu, 15 Dec 2005 12:32:02 -0800
| > | Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet
| > |
| > | Hi;
| > |
| > | I created a virtual directory in IIS 6.0 and my asp.net app runs
fine.
| > But
| > | when it tries to write a file I get:
| > | Access to the path is denied. - C:\Inetpub\wwwroot\RunReportASP\images
| > |
| > | C:\Inetpub\wwwroot\RunReportASP is the directory of my virtual
directory
| > for
| > | my app. In it's properties I did check "Write" as a permission.
| > |
| > | What else do I need to do?
| > |
| > | --