Access vs. SQL backend?

Guest

General question for experienced ASP developers...

I am developing a web application for a small business. The primary use of the web application will be for clients to log on and retrieve information about thier accounts. Essentially just retrieving various queries from the database. I am much more familiar with Access than SQL and am wondering if I can get away with using that as my backend db. I cant really imagine a scenario (at least at this point in time) in which there would be more than 3 or 4 concurrent users at one time.

Any advice? Maybe it's time I get up to speed on SQL Server

Thanks

Mike

Steve Caliendo

MOST definately go to SQL server. I, too, had to make the jump about two
years ago and am very glad that I did.

Access is a nice desktop database engine, but anything that you (or someone
else) really cares about should be done on SQL server.

Steve

Mike said:
General question for experienced ASP developers....

I am developing a web application for a small business. The primary use of
the web application will be for clients to log on and retrieve information
about thier accounts. Essentially just retrieving various queries from the
database. I am much more familiar with Access than SQL and am wondering if
I can get away with using that as my backend db. I cant really imagine a
scenario (at least at this point in time) in which there would be more than
3 or 4 concurrent users at one time.

Peter O'Reilly

Just a few concurrent users and mostly SELECT queries should be fine for
using Access (Jet). On the other hand, if you are writing the application
from scratch and are using the database purely for data storage and
retrieval and not using Access desktop features like forms, reports, macros,
etc. then use SQL Server.

Even better, for starters, use MSDE, the desktop version of SQL Server. I'm
assuming you already know how to construct a database schema and write SQL
queries, so there is not a whole lot to learn right off the bat with SQL
Server. (Writing stored procedures and db admin is another story and
something that can be learned later)

I'd recommend using MSDE or SQL Server.

Good luck.

--