ACCESS -> (XML + XLST) -> to files

Hai Nguyen

Sorry I don't have code yet. I'm asking for solutions which can help me
solve the problem. This is the first time I have to cope this situation,
hence I'm clueless how to start. I would like to ask for some ideas then I
can start from scratch.

Let's say: I have a dataset which has a table Customers (which retrieves
from an Access Database)
1/ I convert it into XML format, it should look like this
<Customer>
<Name>...</Name>
<SSN>....<SSN<
</Customer>
My Question for this is how can I write it into a file.

2/ Second, I want to view it in any browser by providing it a XLST format;
otherwise I also need to provide XLST to read the XML as well

My Question for this is: how can I make XLST format generic since the
table can always be different. It's not always Customers, it can be
Contacts, Addresses.....

I appreciate for any ideas
Thanks

PS: The way I describe above may be not efficient. If there are other ways,
please instruct me)

Hermit Dave

why use xml and xlst when all you need to do is show it on a browser ?

its a good idea if you can have any particular type of file transform...
..say xls download or tab download etc... in that case you just load the
corresponding xslt... and transform..

but in this case.. just use DataGrid.... use auto generation of columns for
datagrid....... bind the dataset...

HTH
--
Regards,

HD

Hai Nguyen said:
[...]

XLST

Craig Deelsnyder

Hai said:
Sorry I don't have code yet. I'm asking for solutions which can help me
solve the problem. This is the first time I have to cope this situation,
hence I'm clueless how to start. I would like to ask for some ideas then I
can start from scratch.

Let's say: I have a dataset which has a table Customers (which retrieves
from an Access Database)
1/ I convert it into XML format, it should look like this
<Customer>
<Name>...</Name>
<SSN>....<SSN<
</Customer>
My Question for this is how can I write it into a file.

see XmlDocument.Save method
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/d...l/frlrfsystemxmlxmldocumentclasssavetopic.asp

2/ Second, I want to view it in any browser by providing it a XLST format;
otherwise I also need to provide XLST to read the XML as well

My Question for this is: how can I make XLST format generic since the
table can always be different. It's not always Customers, it can be
Contacts, Addresses.....

do you need to use XSLT, are you sending the file elsewhere for display?
Otherwise, a DataGrid can read in such a file (since it's a DataSet)
and you can define a custom display format using template
columns....otherwise, if you do need XSLT, then you need to read up on
it, as you are asking exactly what it does and is for.

Hai Nguyen

You are right. I have to send the file to user so that they can keep their
file. That's the requirement.

I would like to know how i can do that

Thank for all your help so far. I need more a little tip I will be fine.