access your desktop application via browser

Guest

suppose I've an application running on my desktop computer running windows xp
pro. I would like to access this application over Internet wherever I'm via
standart web browser. My aim infact is just carrying the interface of an
application over Internet without using RDP protocol which requires a client
software.

In fact there are some solutions like GoToMyPC. But I wonder what is the
underlying technology used. How can I accompolish such a job in .NET
framework using IIS?

Thanks for your replies...

Scott Allen

You can grab the source code to some of the clients and see how they
work:

http://www.tightvnc.com/
http://www.rdesktop.org/

All of those remote desktop technologies require some piece of
software on the client (an activex control, a terminal services
client, etc). You could always host a small control to download where
ever you may be.

JohnnySF

That's a pretty interesting thing you're proposing...

Just curious, why are you going for that when there's a pretty
entrenched market of remote desktop software such as GoToMyPC or PC
Anywhere?

Another interesting thing to check out is MyWebEx PC
(http://www.mywebexpc.com) which is basically like GoToMyPC but free to
everyone. Like GoToMyPC though, it's a remote desktop utility rather
than hosting the interface for individual applications.

Guest

in fact I'm planning to use this for mobile clients which have limited
processing power and battery life. Instead of downloading a thick client
software onto mobile device, by uploading this application to a web server
which acts as a wrapper and runs the application, the user will be able to
use this application through its web browser. This will free the client from
heavy-weight processes.

At this point I think that it is a little bit different from desktop sharing
technologies which rely on in fact screen sharing. In my case there is no
screen to share. There is just an interface to share..