AccessControlException while trying to run applet

Chandrashekar Tippur

All,

I am having trouble accessing applet from the website. From the java
console, I am getting
java.security.AccessControlException access denied
[java.lang.runtimeexception exitVM].
What I am trying is a socket program that uses Serializable interface.
Question is that Can I use Serializable object to write to file (in
one of the constructors)? This is a simple program where Server
listens to a port and Client initiates to read a config file (THrough
serialized object) and does something with it and again initiates to
update the file.
Please let me know if I need to post the code.
Thanks,
Shekar

Roedy Green

What I am trying is a socket program that uses Serializable interface.
Question is that Can I use Serializable object to write to file (in
one of the constructors)?

You are trying to write to the client's hard disk. This is a very
naughty thing to do. You could with this tool destroy every hard disk
in the universe that ran your Applet by filling with junk, or by
trashing files. It is not something Applets are allowed to do.

SIGNED Applets are however. They warn the user is a manner of speaking
what mayhem you might be up to.

see http://mindprod.com/jgloss/signedapplet.html