    --
    George Hester
    __________________________________

    George Hester, Jan 5, 2004

  2. George Hester

    rf Guest

    "George Hester" <> wrote in message
    news:pc5Kb.112704$...
    I have a disibility. But the disibility I am thinking of is that of
    blindness. My understanding is that someone who is blind relies on a
    attribute of tags be they in forms or anchors. And that attribute is
    "title."

    In this form I am making I have made sure I put the "title" attribute in
    everything that will take it specifically for this reason. But what is
    happening is that the tooltip doesn't display immediately sometimes and it
    takes some wiggling of the mouse over the control to get it to display.
    That's fine but the real issue is that the tooltip and autocomplete
    (Internet Explorer) sometimes interferes with the visiblility of either. So
    I found a dhtml to make my own where I can poition the tooltip.

    So I got it all going looked good and then I realized something. This is
    likely going to result in (silence) for the blind. Is there some way I can
    detect whether the client is visiting with JAWS or some application similar
    which allows the page to speak to them? Then I can just resort to the title
    and the conflict I described above iis mute. Or maybe some idea what other
    element attrubute can be used so that the page talks to the client but there
    is no appearance? Thanks.

    Er, what are you talking about?

    Tooltips are for sighted people

    Alt is for the visually challenged where the alt text is displayed as an
    *alt*ernative to images etc.

    If you want to hear what a visually challenged person will hear from your
    site then download an aural browser. If all else fails download lynx, where
    you can see what they will hear.

    Er, what does this have to do with javascript?

    Cheers
    Richard.

    rf, Jan 5, 2004

  3. Make sure you have some idea what you are talking about. The solution was to put a label in hidden. JAWS and others can read the for attribute in the label to "speak" the Input box to the blind. ALSO you may think the tool tip is only for those with sight. Like I said, make sure you have some idea what you are talking about

    --
    George Hester

    George Hester, Jan 7, 2004