Accessibilty problems with <div> and <table>

Discussion in 'HTML' started by Luigi Donatello Asero, Oct 3, 2003.

  1. I am building the website www.scaiecat-spa-gigi.com
    On the page www.scaiecat-spa-gigi.com/sv/valkommen.html
    I used tables and div for the layout whereas on the page
    www.scaiecat-spa-gigi.com/sv/testdue.html I tried to use only <div>
    for the layout of the menu.
    The <div> renders well the position of the menu on the page but I cannot get
    buttons on the menu on the left side which really work as such.
    On the contrary, on the page www.scaiecat-spa-gigi.com/sv/valkommen.html I
    do get buttons which work but the menu on the left does not start on the
    same height as the one on the right.
    As a whole, as a person who is concerned about problems of accessibility on
    the web I am wondering what it depends on that my buttons work if I use
    tables for the layout but do not always work if I use them without tables
    although I have heard that one should use tables only for data and not for
    the layout.
    Last but not least I am wondering whether and in which way the use of tables
    respectively <div> for the layout helps search engines to index a page and
    whether buttons help or do not help search engines at all.
    Best regards

    - -
    Luigi ( un italiano che vive in Svezia)

    http://www.scaiecat-spa-gigi.com/sv/svezia.html
    http://www.scaiecat-spa-gigi.com/sv/boendeiitalien.html

    Luigi Donatello Asero, Oct 3, 2003

    > I am building the website www.scaiecat-spa-gigi.com
    > On the page www.scaiecat-spa-gigi.com/sv/valkommen.html
    > I used tables and div for the layout whereas on the page
    > www.scaiecat-spa-gigi.com/sv/testdue.html I tried to use only <div>
    > for the layout of the menu.
    > The <div> renders well the position of the menu on the page but I cannot

    get
    > buttons on the menu on the left side which really work as such.
    > On the contrary, on the page www.scaiecat-spa-gigi.com/sv/valkommen.html I
    > do get buttons which work but the menu on the left does not start on the
    > same height as the one on the right.
    > As a whole, as a person who is concerned about problems of accessibility

    on
    > the web I am wondering what it depends on that my buttons work if I use
    > tables for the layout but do not always work if I use them without tables
    > although I have heard that one should use tables only for data and not for
    > the layout.
    > Last but not least I am wondering whether and in which way the use of

    tables
    > respectively <div> for the layout helps search engines to index a page and
    > whether buttons help or do not help search engines at all.
    > Best regards
    >

    > - -
    > Luigi ( un italiano che vive in Svezia)

    In the past I used frames and I made up my mind to use tables instead of
    them to help search engines and Internet users visiting the site.

    - -

    http://www.scaiecat-spa-gigi.com/sv/lagenheterhusrumitalien.html

    Luigi Donatello Asero, Oct 3, 2003