accessing a javascript variable using IHTMLDocument

Alf

Hi,

I have the IHTMLDocument2 interface set up for a web page in an MFC VC++
prog.
eg

IHTMLDocument2* pHTMLDocument2;
hr = pMC->QueryInterface(IID_IHTMLDocument2,
(void**)&pHTMLDocument2 );

The page contains:
var variable_name = "variable data";
within a <SCRIPT> tag.
Is there a straightforward way to return the value of the variable_name
using the interface?

Of course I know I can do a hard-coded search using, say, 'c' char
functions, but I just wondered...

TIA

BTW
Apologies if this is the wrong forum - please redirect me as appropriate.