Accessing a thread

Discussion in 'Java' started by Dirk Bruere at NeoPax, Jul 30, 2012.

  1. File1

    public class controller extends Activity {

    @Override
    super.onCreate(savedInstanceState);
    setContentView(R.layout.main);

    final LanSendThread lanSendThread = new LanSendThread();
    lanSendThread.start();
    ....}

    __________

    File2

    public class LanSendThread extends Thread{
    public static Handler lanSendHandler;

    @Override
    public void run(){
    Looper.prepare();

    lanSendHandler = new Handler() {
    //stuff}

    ___________

    How do I access the thread lanSendThread from another class in another file?

    --
    Dirk

    Full Spectrum Praxis : ZERO STATE : http://zerostate.net

    Dirk Bruere at NeoPax, Jul 30, 2012

  2. Dirk Bruere at NeoPax

    Eric Sosman Guest

    On 7/30/2012 5:54 AM, Dirk Bruere at NeoPax wrote:
    > File1
    >
    > public class controller extends Activity {
    >

    > /** Called when the activity is first created. */
    > @Override
    > public void onCreate(Bundle savedInstanceState) {
    > super.onCreate(savedInstanceState);
    > setContentView(R.layout.main);
    >
    > final LanSendThread lanSendThread = new LanSendThread();
    > lanSendThread.start();
    > ...}
    >
    > __________
    >
    > File2
    >
    > public class LanSendThread extends Thread{
    > public static Handler lanSendHandler;
    >
    > @Override
    > public void run(){
    > Looper.prepare();
    >
    > lanSendHandler = new Handler() {
    > //stuff}
    >
    > ___________
    >
    > How do I access the thread lanSendThread from another class in another
    > file?

    The same way you'd access it if it were an ArrayList or
    a JButton or a File: You save the reference somewhere and dish
    it out to interested parties. There must be two or three jillion
    ways to do this; a few of them are

    - Make `lanSendThread' a public member of the controller
    class (poor choice of name, by the way). You may or may
    not want to make that member `final'.

    - Make `lanSendThread' a private member of the controller
    class, and write a public getThread() method to return it.

    - Stash the value of `lanSendThread' in a Map or other data
    structure, and "publicize" the data structure and/or
    accessors for it.

    --
    Eric Sosman

    Eric Sosman, Jul 30, 2012

  3. Dirk Bruere at NeoPax

    Roedy Green Guest

    On Mon, 30 Jul 2012 10:54:25 +0100, Dirk Bruere at NeoPax
    said :

    >How do I access the thread lanSendThread from another class in another file?

    // execute InParallel.run()
    // in parallel to this thread on a new thread.
    Thread t = new Thread ( new InParallel() );

    // Note we call t.start(), not t.run()
    // t.run() would just call run in the ordinary way.

    // Get reference to the thread running this
    // code right now.
    Thread runningNow = Thread.currentThread();

    Keep in mind a thread is busy running its own code. Pretty well
    anything you run on that thread is going to be highly disruptive.
    --
    Roedy Green Canadian Mind Products
    http://mindprod.com

    Roedy Green, Jul 31, 2012