Accessing a Windows Service Host Via a Browser?

Jim Bayers

I have three servers

Campus Server

Secure Server

Public Server

Do to the sensitive nature of the data, my network nazi wants me to
access the campus server via the secure server. There won't be a web
server on the Secure server, just the public server. So people will
browse to the public server which has a http server, type in some
variables and get a report.

Thanks to this forum, I found:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-
us/dnnetsec/html/SecNetHT15.asp

And it works! It listens on port 8085. and you can access it with

TcpChannel chan = new TcpChannel();
ChannelServices.RegisterChannel(chan);
Calculator calc = (Calculator)Activator.GetObject(
typeof(RemoteObject.Calculator),
"tcp://localhost:8085/RemoteObject.Calculator");
if (calc == null)
System.Console.WriteLine("Could not locate server");
else
Console.WriteLine("21 + 21 is : " + calc.Add(21,21) );

The problem is that once I put this on secure, how can I access it via a
browser on public? I've been searching the net for an example to no
avail.

Jeff Dillon

You mean access a SQL database sitting on the Campus server? How about
simply replicating a read-only copy of the database to Secure. Then access
the database easily from Public.

Or create a web service on Secure that talks to Campus, and access it from
Public

Jeff