    tell me the details about it, because of being new in ASP, please make it
    easy to understand for me.

    Thank you.
    Birthday, Apr 16, 2004

  2. Birthday

    Lance Wynn Guest

    You just need to give permission to the administrative shares on the
    computers to the user that is running the ASP application (A good way would
    be to make the ASP App use NT Authentication vs. anonymous)

    That should work

    "Birthday" <> wrote in message
    Hi, I try to make an ASP application that can access to other computer's
    administrative shares like (c$, d$) in the network. There are computers that
    have XP Professional or 2000 installed in the network. All the computers
    have "administrator" account and password for this account. I try to make an
    application that I can administrate all the files in the network computers
    (in my network from my ISS based web page.

    Can this type of application can be done by using ASP? If yes, how? Please

    Lance Wynn, Apr 17, 2004

  3. Birthday

    Birthday Guest

    How can I use NT Authentication in ASP? I do not know much about it. Could
    you give an example?

    Birthday, Apr 17, 2004
  4. Birthday

    Lance Wynn Guest

    It's not an ASP setting, it's a setting in your IIS Admin console. Right
    Click on the web in the IIS Admin Console, and click the Security Tab.
    There you can find instructions, and if you click F1, it will give you
    detailed help on it.

    Lance Wynn, Apr 17, 2004
  5. Birthday

    Birthday Guest

    Thank you for your reply and explanation. But is there any other way to
    introduce my computer as the administrator (with the administrator password
    of the computer which I want to connect in my network) with ASP. Because
    periodically harddisks of the all computers in my network is formatted and a
    new Xp or 2000 system installed but administrator accounts and passwords
    remain same for the newly installed operating system.

    Thank you.

    Birthday, Apr 17, 2004
  6. Birthday

    Lance Wynn Guest

    If the Admin password is the same on all the computers, you can use that
    password to login to your ASP App, and it should work. A domain, or AD user
    would probably be preferred though

    Lance Wynn, Apr 18, 2004
  7. Birthday

    Chris Barber Guest

    In real terms there are two (see later for a third) possible means of making
    an ASP site run under a specific user account (eg. a domain administrator
    account) to allow access administrative shares.

    1. In IIS settings for the website, remove anonymous login and enable basic
    or integrated authentication. Basic will pass passwords across the net (or
    LAN) in clear whilst integrated will use the local client account if
    applicable or prompt for a full login using NT challenge and response
    (passwords are never sent in clear with this method and as such is the
    preferred - won;t work though most proxy servers though).

    2. Set the user account that the ASP website runs under for the anonymous
    login to be a domain administrator account (not good because anyone visiting
    the site will then be running under the domain administrative account so
    it's only really useful for internal LAN and even then you have to be
    careful).

    A third option is available. You can use scripts that explicitly set the
    user account that they will run under using VBS. However, you have to allow
    shell scripts to run from the site by changing an IIS metabase setting (it's
    turned off by default because of the security reasons - eg. you could
    instantiate Word, Excel, run your own uploaded executables etc.).

    Hope this helps.

    Chris.

    Chris Barber, Apr 18, 2004
  8. Birthday

    Roland Hall Guest

    :
    : 1. In IIS settings for the website, remove anonymous login and enable
    basic
    : or integrated authentication. Basic will pass passwords across the net (or
    : LAN) in clear whilst integrated will use the local client account if
    : applicable or prompt for a full login using NT challenge and response
    : (passwords are never sent in clear with this method and as such is the
    : preferred - won;t work though most proxy servers though).

    Using integrated authentication, the password is never sent, plain or
    otherwise. A prompt is offered only after authentication fails because the
    server assumes the user might know an account, with credentials, that will
    authenticate properly. The credentials are not sent over the site. The
    server actually sends an encrypted message the user could decrypt if they
    had the right credentials and respond successfully.

    http://www.microsoft.com/windows200...indows2000/en/server/iis/htm/core/iiabasc.htm

    --
    Roland Hall
    or fitness for a particular purpose. */
    Roland Hall, Apr 18, 2004
  9. Birthday

    Birthday Guest

    Thank you for giving useful informations but probably I explain the problem
    wrongly. My English is not so good so I'll write the problem a basic way. We
    can think about a network which have only two computers. One of them is mine
    (which is administrator computer) and the other is user computer. In my
    computer, I run ISS but the user computer does not. So ASP application is
    located in the my computer which has to connect the user's computer's
    administrative shares with a password and list the files in c$. Changing any
    setttings of user computer is not useful for me because it will be formatted
    and installed new windows 2000 or xp periodically.

    How can I connect in the explained way with ASP. Is there any connection
    object that can handle the connection to a computer through network, for
    example. If the information in your replies can solve the problem, I am
    totally sorry but cannot understand. Please make the answer easy for me.

    Birthday, Apr 18, 2004
  10. Birthday

    Roland Hall Guest

[...]

    Only Administrators can connect to administrative shares.

    Untested, if you set your 'IIS' [not ISS] security settings to Integrated
    and the user was logged on with their domain account and their domain user
    account had Admin rights to their system, AND you had a virtual directory to
    their computer using the their administrative share, would you then have the
    access you need?

    However, it begs the question of why would a user need to connect to an ASP
    page to access something on their local drive where they had administrative
    access?

    Roland Hall, Apr 18, 2004
  11. Birthday

    Birthday Guest

    Users certainly does not need to connect to an ASP page to access something
    on their local drive where they had administrative access. Actually in my
    explaination user has nothing to do with this ASP page, even they do not
    know about it. This ASP page is for the Administrators who want to control
    the all the coming and going files on the users' computers. I can do it by
    mapping the administrative shares of the all user computers in the
    administrator's computer but I want to control the users' computers' files
    by pressing a button in my ASP generated page, and all the controls will be
    done by ASP then I will see the results on the screen.

    By the way, if I can set the security settings of my IIS in a proper way
    that makes me Administrator on the all local computers, how can I handle to
    list the files on the local computer computer by using ASP. How should I
    connect?

    Birthday, Apr 18, 2004
  12. Birthday

    Chris Barber Guest

    UNC pathname are as follows for a computer with an administrative share for
    the C drive:

    \\MACHINENAME\C$\FOLDERSANDFILES

    In order for any remote machine to connect to and be able to use this
    filepath the remote machine must be able to authenticate as either a local
    administrative account or a domain administrative account (if the target
    machine has been added to the domain).

    Administrative shares can ONLY be accessed by a remote client authenticating
    in this manner.

    What you have asked for is that an ASP site on a remote machine be able to
    use this UNC path to be able to access files and folders on a target
    machine. For this to be able to happen, the IIS page MUST run under the same
    restraints but in this case it is further restricted - it can only (in
    practice) run under a domain administrative account (eg.
    DOMAIN\Administrator).

    Now ... for this to happen you have tow choices (as already outlined in my

    1. Enable Integrated Authentication and disable Anonymous Login for the
    website so that a visiting user is prompted for their account (eg.
    DOMAIN\Administrator). Once this is entered then the ASP site will run as if
    that user is logged in and any ASP scripts such as FSO will be able to
    access the UNC filepath for the administrative share.
    2. Use the Anonymous Login but set the account used (instead of
    IUSR_MACHINE) to be DOMAIN\Administrator.

    The funny thing is that you are aware of administrative shares but seem to
    have no concept of domain or groups security principals which leads me to
    believe that you are trying to run before you can walk. A lot of damage can
    be done to a networks security if you start throwing domain administrative
    logins around and use them indiscriminately.

    My suggestion is that you find an easier way to achieve what you want using
    normal methods. You are aware that you can just access these files in
    Windows Explorer if you are logged in with the relevant account from any
    computer by just typing the UNC path into the 'Run As' box?

    Hope this helps and please don't take my comments too personally. I
    appreciate what you might be trying to achieve but think you may be going
    down a route that will only lead to issues and dead-ends.

    Chris.

    Chris Barber, Apr 18, 2004
  13. Birthday

    Birthday Guest

    Thank you for your detailed answer.

    Okay for everything you explained. In the first place, I had focused on the
    thought that we can use some objects in ASP like CDO for sending emails so
    we can use some API that handle making connection between two computers in
    the network in ASP as an object. Or I think that we can make a connection
    through port 449, send username and password through this port or the proper
    port. Or I think, I can learn how windows handles this and imitate the
    windows by using proper objects (if any).

    Any comments?

> [...]

    > > Untested, if you set your 'IIS' [not ISS] security settings to

    Integrated
    > > and the user was logged on with their domain account and their domain

    user
    > > account had Admin rights to their system, AND you had a virtual

    directory
    > > their computer using the their administrative share, would you then have

    > the
    > > access you need?
    > >
    > > However, it begs the question of why would a user need to connect to an

    > ASP
    > > page to access something on their local drive where they had

    > administrative
    > > access?
    > >
    > > --
    > > Roland Hall
    > > /* This information is distributed in the hope that it will be useful,

    but
    > > without any warranty; without even the implied warranty of

    merchantability

    Birthday, Apr 18, 2004
  14. Birthday

    Chris Barber Guest

    What *exactly* do you need to achieve?

    So far it's been discussion on accessing and using the administrative file
    shares C$, D$ etc. which requires passing NT challenge response
    authentication to access - now your talking about CDO, emails etc?

    Chris.

    Chris Barber, Apr 19, 2004
  15. Birthday

    Birthday Guest

    I meant "I think we can use some objects (to be able handle with accessing a
    local machine's administrative shares) like cdonts, adodb.connection, etc."
    Those were only examples, not the things I want to use to achieve my goal.
    As I said the messages above, my english may be not very good to explain my
    "wish to do" and I also thank your patience to my english and expression but
    please do try to understand me. In my last message, I tried to explain the
    way I thought before posting here. And I still wonder, whether or not the
    way I approach the problem that I have (accessing another computer's
    administrative shares), is valuable or not. If it is valuable, I will try to
    develope it. If not and anybody explains me why it is not, I try to follow
    your suggestions and quit.

    So I would like to hear any comments about this questions:

    1. And as far as I know, some API can be used as an object in ASP. So I
    thought that if windows handle my request of writing \\computer_ip\C$ , by
    using some API maybe I can use them in ASP as an object to create a
    connection between my machine and the other machine. Is it possible?

    2. Also, I controlled that when I open \\computer_ip\c$ by writing this into
    windows explorer, port 449 is opened which is named as "microsoft-ds". So I
    speculate if there is a way to connect to port 449 via using ASP by using
    any technique, object or method of ASP. Is it possible?

    Thank you very much for your patience replies until now. Learning is a slow
    process for me. I should know every point of the topic to be understand it.
    Please if you know or think any think about my speculations above, please
    write in detail and please share with me.

    Birthday, Apr 19, 2004
  16. Birthday

    Chris Barber Guest

    \\COMPUTER\C$ is *just* a hidden UNC filepath and in essence is identical to
    \\COMPUTER\C if the C drive where to be set as a share for that machine. The
    *only* difference is that the administrative shares can *only* be accessed
    by an authenticated administrator for the computer (eg a local admin or a
    domain admin account).
    There is nothing else to consider. No API's, no third party objects,
    *nothing*. You can (once you have managed to get yourself executing under a
    relevant account) use FSO (FileSystemObject) to access the files and folders
    exactly the same as if you were doing so on the local machine.

    There are other hidden shares. See:.
    http://www.comptechdoc.org/os/windows/win2k/win2kshares.html

    FSO:
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/d...en-us/vbenlr98/html/vaobjfilesystemobject.asp

    Port 449 is used by Windows and is often referred to as 'Server Mapper' - I
    doubt you would be able to use it for anything specific.

    Please forgive the excessive usage of '*' - I get carried away sometimes.

    Chris.

    Chris Barber, Apr 19, 2004