Accessing Another Internet Explorer Browser Window

ctrl.undo

Hi,

I'm not sure if this is possible, but I'm looking for a way to access
another IE browser window using JavaScript (assuming the two browser
windows are running in the same instance).

The purpose of this task is so that if a user hits ctrl+n in IE, the
new window is "aware" of the other instance.

Thanks in advance,
Tim.

Randy Webb

(e-mail address removed) said the following on 9/4/2006 10:07 PM:
Hi,

I'm not sure if this is possible, but I'm looking for a way to access
another IE browser window using JavaScript (assuming the two browser
windows are running in the same instance).

The purpose of this task is so that if a user hits ctrl+n in IE, the
new window is "aware" of the other instance.

You can't.

Laurent Bugnion

I'm not sure if this is possible, but I'm looking for a way to access
another IE browser window using JavaScript (assuming the two browser
windows are running in the same instance).

The purpose of this task is so that if a user hits ctrl+n in IE, the
new window is "aware" of the other instance.

Thanks in advance,
Tim.

If you simply hit Ctrl-N and do nothing else, the existing window won't
be aware of the newly opened window. However, if a Page gets loaded in
the new window, if this page knows the name of the existing window
(which name can be set by a script running in that existing window), and
if the newly opened window calls

var wExistingWindow = open( "", "existingWindowName", "" );

then the variable wExistingWindow will contain a reference to the
existing window. If both documents run in the same domain, you may even
call a method in the existing window:

wExistingWindow.notifyNewWindowOpen( self );

Not sure I would rely on so many "if"s.

HTH,
Laurent