Accessing Assemblies not contained in the Web App

Mike M

Hello,

I created a simple C# library assembly that exposes general facilities I
would like to use in my ASP.NET web applications. If I added the assembly
into the bin directory of my asp.net app, the runtime finds the assembly
without a problem and resolves any references to the classes exposed by the
assembly. However, I do not wish to deploy the assembly into each bin
directory for each web application. I would like to specify the library
assembly in a "global" directory on my web server. (By global I'm referring
to a directory that is not part of any web application.) Then each web
application that references my custom assembly will reference the only copy
of the assembly found in a global directory. The problem I'm having is that
my ASPX module does not like assembly directives that point to assemblies
outside the web application. I tried modify the application web.config file
to include a <codebase> and <probing> element in the configuration's runtime
element but without success. So, is it possible to reference "global"
assemblies? If so, how should the web.config file be setup?

Thanks for you time,
Mike M.

Mike M

I'll have to see if my web hosting service provider is willing to add
assemblies to the GAC. Unfortunately, I'm kinda at the mercy of an
out-sourced production environment. That's why I'm looking for a self
contained method for accessing assemblies.

Thanks for the help.