Accessing bookmark?

Discussion in 'HTML' started by Robert Mark Bram, Oct 20, 2004.

  1. Robert Mark Bram, Oct 20, 2004

  2. Robert Mark Bram

    rf Guest

    Robert Mark Bram

    > Hi All!

    Er, G'day.

    > How do you get the bookmark on the end of a url with ASP?

    I know nothing about asp except that is much like most other languages or
    whatever that are in use. Most of them have some sort of "pull this string
    apart from this character" function.

    RTFM

    > The next question would be how can I add a bookmark in ASP too..

    As per the above most "languages" have a string concatenation function.

    Once again RTFM.

    --
    Cheers
    Richard.

    Bloody shit! crosposted groups snipped, not on my server. Why do I bother
    with these arseholes?
    rf, Oct 20, 2004

  3. Robert Mark Bram

    SpaceGirl Guest

    Robert Mark Bram wrote:
    > Hi All!
    >
    > How do you get the bookmark on the end of a url with ASP?
    >
    > For example, this page from 4GuysFromRolla:
    > http://www.4guysfromrolla.com/demos/servervariables.asp#blobby
    >
    > "blobby" doesn't pop up anywhere in Request.Variables..
    >
    > The next question would be how can I add a bookmark in ASP too..
    >
    > Rob
    > :)

    Er... I think you misunderstand how bookmarks work. A .asp file is the
    same as a .htm file as far as a browser is concerned. So, bookmarks work
    exactly the same way as they do on any other HTML document.

    --

    x theSpaceGirl (miranda)

    SpaceGirl, Oct 20, 2004
  4. *Robert Mark Bram* wrote:
    > Hi All!
    >
    > How do you get the bookmark on the end of a url with ASP?
    >
    > For example, this page from 4GuysFromRolla:
    > http://www.4guysfromrolla.com/demos/servervariables.asp#blobby
    >
    > "blobby" doesn't pop up anywhere in Request.Variables..
    >
    > The next question would be how can I add a bookmark in ASP too..
    >
    > Rob
    > :)

    If the HTTP client submits the fragment identifier to the server, the
    client is broken - at least that's my interpretation of RFC1630, page
    13. ASP (or any other server-side language) is unable to retrieve the
    anchor reference as it's not sent with the request to the server. Mind
    you, it is a handy way to block dumb web crawlers that try to send it
    anyway.
    --
    Andrew Urquhart
    - HTML FAQ: http://www.html-faq.com/
    Andrew Urquhart, Oct 20, 2004
  5. Robert Mark Bram

    Andy Dingley Guest

    On Wed, 20 Oct 2004 21:51:23 +1000, Robert Mark Bram
    <> wrote:

    >How do you get the bookmark on the end of a url with ASP?
    >
    >For example, this page from 4GuysFromRolla:
    >http://www.4guysfromrolla.com/demos/servervariables.asp#blobby
    >
    >"blobby" doesn't pop up anywhere in Request.Variables..

    That's not a bookmark, it;'s a "fragment identifer".

    In your ASP, get the whole URL and then slice the string up yourself.
    Use a regex to look at characters after the hash.

    _IF_ the user has navigated from an internal link on the page
    http://www.4guysfromrolla.com/demos/servervariables.asp
    http://www.4guysfromrolla.com/demos/servervariables.asp#blobby

    then the browser probably won't re-load the page and the server never
    gets to see this request.

    If they'd arrived there from the page
    http://www.4guysfromrolla.com/demos/foo.htm
    then the server would see the full request.
    Andy Dingley, Oct 20, 2004
  6. *Andrew Urquhart* wrote:
    > If the HTTP client submits the fragment identifier to the server, the
    > client is broken - at least that's my interpretation of RFC1630, page
    > 13. ASP (or any other server-side language) is unable to retrieve the
    > anchor reference as it's not sent with the request to the server. Mind
    > you, it is a handy way to block dumb web crawlers that try to send it
    > anyway.

    I should qualify that I mean the URL of the requested server resource
    doesn't contain the fragment identifier. The optional referrer header
    doesn't have this limitation. Ignoring the aforementioned wording in the
    RFC, this is at least the observed behaviour of a variety of browsers in
    tandem with IIS5 and classic ASP.
    Andrew Urquhart, Oct 21, 2004
  7. Robert Mark Bram

    Guest

    Hi Andrew,

    Thank you for your reply - Andy and Miranda too!

    > > How do you get the bookmark on the end of a url with ASP?

    > If the HTTP client submits the fragment identifier to the server, the
    > client is broken - at least that's my interpretation of RFC1630, page
    > 13. ASP (or any other server-side language) is unable to retrieve the
    > anchor reference as it's not sent with the request to the server. Mind
    > you, it is a handy way to block dumb web crawlers that try to send it
    > anyway.

    This answers my question. Oh well. :) I will find a different way.
    Thank you very much!

    Rob
    :)
    , Oct 21, 2004