Accessing bookmark?

Discussion in 'ASP General' started by Robert Mark Bram, Oct 20, 2004.

  1. Robert Mark Bram, Oct 20, 2004

  2. Robert Mark Bram

    Andy Dingley Guest

    On Wed, 20 Oct 2004 21:51:23 +1000, Robert Mark Bram
    <> wrote:

    >How do you get the bookmark on the end of a url with ASP?
    >
    >For example, this page from 4GuysFromRolla:
    >http://www.4guysfromrolla.com/demos/servervariables.asp#blobby
    >
    >"blobby" doesn't pop up anywhere in Request.Variables..

    That's not a bookmark, it;'s a "fragment identifer".

    In your ASP, get the whole URL and then slice the string up yourself.
    Use a regex to look at characters after the hash.

    _IF_ the user has navigated from an internal link on the page
    http://www.4guysfromrolla.com/demos/servervariables.asp
    http://www.4guysfromrolla.com/demos/servervariables.asp#blobby

    then the browser probably won't re-load the page and the server never
    gets to see this request.

    If they'd arrived there from the page
    http://www.4guysfromrolla.com/demos/foo.htm
    then the server would see the full request.
    Andy Dingley, Oct 20, 2004

  3. Robert Mark Bram

    Guest

    Hi Andrew,

    Thank you for your reply - Andy and Miranda too!

    > > How do you get the bookmark on the end of a url with ASP?

    > If the HTTP client submits the fragment identifier to the server, the
    > client is broken - at least that's my interpretation of RFC1630, page
    > 13. ASP (or any other server-side language) is unable to retrieve the
    > anchor reference as it's not sent with the request to the server. Mind
    > you, it is a handy way to block dumb web crawlers that try to send it
    > anyway.

    This answers my question. Oh well. :) I will find a different way.
    Thank you very much!

    Rob
    :)
    , Oct 21, 2004