    anyone know how VS does this? Or some other way to get it?

    TIA
    </joel>

    Joel, Apr 5, 2005

  2. The way Nant handles this with its solution task is allows you to configure
    a mapping for the project URL to a local file system path. That seems to
    work very well. The other option they support uses webdav, but that
    requires configuring webdav. I've never actually tried to get that to work
    as the local mapping just seemed easier.

    Out of curiosity, why reinvent the wheel when Nant already supports this
    very well and does a whole lot of other stuff that you might want your build
    to do as well?

    Joe K.

    Joe Kaplan \(MVP - ADSI\), Apr 6, 2005

  3. Joel

    Joel Guest

    Easy... Nant sucks. :)

    I used Nant at my last job for about 18 months and hated it more every day.
    In my opinion it makes no sense to learn a cryptic, unreadable, XML schema
    when, in a couple of days, I put together a full-blown, event-driven build
    tool using a language I know and love: C#. The only thing that was hard was
    figuring out how to accurately map the virtual URL to a local physical
    directory. Unfortunately, I beleive the MSBuild utilitity coming in VS2005
    is similiar to Nant so I'll probably be forced to use it. <sigh>

    As to the mapping problem, I got this from another post:

    adsutil.vbs GET w3svc/1/root/iishelp/path

    will return:

    path : (STRING) "c:\windows\help\iishelp"

    So I just modified adsutil.vbs a little and was able to use it to get me
    what I needed.

    Thanks for the response.

    </joel>

    "Joe Kaplan (MVP - ADSI)" <> wrote
    in message news:...

    Joel, Apr 6, 2005
  4. You aren't the only one who complains about Nant and all the XML stuff,
    believe me. Lot's of people would rather use C# or Python to scripting out
    the build.

    You should start your own OSS project with this and get some followers to
    help build it out. :)

    Joe K.

    Joe Kaplan \(MVP - ADSI\), Apr 6, 2005