Accessing files on Lan in javascript.

sukhmeet

Hi,
I have created an application to used on my office LAN. This will be
simple HTML documentation. I need to read an excel file and presnt the
data in it to the users.
I am using the following code to create a fileSystemobject.

fso = new ActiveXObject("Scripting.FileSystemObject");

It is owrking fine on my PC and when i run the Application it asks me
once to allow interaction with the active object.

However when i put the same code on a shared location on my LAN and i
try to acces it from other PC it give me the following error.

ActiveX component can't create object :"Scripting.FileSystemObject"

I have read/write permissions on the shared LAN folder. Does anyone
know a solution for the above problem.

Thanks & Regards,
Sukhmeet

GArlington

Hi,
I have created an application to used on my office LAN. This will be
simple HTML documentation. I need to read an excel file and presnt the
data in it to the users.
I am using the following code to create a fileSystemobject.

fso = new ActiveXObject("Scripting.FileSystemObject");

It is owrking fine on my PC and when i run the Application it asks me
once to allow interaction with the active object.

However when i put the same code on a shared location on my LAN and i
try to acces it from other PC it give me the following error.

Can you still access it (and does it work correctly) when you request
it from your PC (the code is on a shared location on your LAN and you
are using your PC - the one that works with local copy)?

Henry

Hi,
I have created an application to used on my office LAN. This
will be simple HTML documentation. I need to read an excel
file and presnt the data in it to the users.
I am using the following code to create a fileSystemobject.

fso = new ActiveXObject("Scripting.FileSystemObject");

It is owrking fine on my PC and when i run the Application
it asks me once to allow interaction with the active object.

However when i put the same code on a shared location on my
LAN and i try to acces it from other PC it give me the
following error.

ActiveX component can't create object :"Scripting.FileSystemObject"

I have read/write permissions on the shared LAN folder.
Does anyone know a solution for the above problem.

At the right end of the status bar of an IE browser window there is an
icon and a word that varies depending on the security zone. For the
Internet zone you get an icon of the world (sort of) and the word
"Internet". HTMP pages (etc.) loaded from different locations get
assigned to different security zones by IE. There is a zone for the
local computer (which used to have very lax security and has been made
considerably stricter in recent years) and another for Intranets
(which presumably would apply to your LAN). The settings for some of
these zones (not including the local computer) are available through
"Internet Options..." in the tools menu. In those settings the one
labelled "Initialize and script ActiveX controls not marked safe for
scripting" is the one likely to impact on the ability to instantiate
FileSystemObject instances. That security setting is very likely to be
set to "Disabled" by default for the Intranet zone (for very good
reasons).

sukhmeet

Hi,
I tried using HTA. But that is gives some other set of problems.
Since i am accesing othere frames from the HTA , i am not able to do
it in HTA.

Evertjan.

wrote on 12 feb 2008 in comp.lang.javascript:
Hi,
I tried using HTA. But that is gives some other set of problems.
Since i am accesing othere frames from the HTA , i am not able to do
it in HTA.

And what is your question?