    How do you access GridViewRow.DataItem without having to get to it inside
    GridView events? I have a particular thing I am trying to do and forcing it
    to be done inside gridviews events wont work.
    Andy B., Jul 3, 2009

  2. Andy B.

    bruce barker Guest

    Re: Accessing GridViewRow.DataItem outside of GridView databindingevents

    use the GridView.DataSource, this is how it accesses it.

    -- bruce (sqlwork.com)

    bruce barker, Jul 3, 2009

  3. Andy B.

    Andy B. Guest

    Can you give me a simple example? This is what I have going on. There is a
    Wizard on a WebUser control. It has a GridView on step 1 that uses a List(Of
    HeadlinesInfo) as its DataSource. The object HeadlinesInfo is a custom
    business object. In the GridView, I have a column of CheckBoxes for
    selecting the GridView rows. When I press next button, I want to loop
    through the rows and put the datasource objects related to the checked
    GridViewRows in another List(Of HeadlinesInfo) list. Would there be any way
    of doing something like this? I have tried just about all day and can't
    figure it out yet. Thanks for the help.

    Andy B., Jul 3, 2009
  4. Andy B.

    Mark Stevens Guest

    I think this article contains enough information to show you process
    the rows with the checked boxes:

    http://www.4guysfromrolla.com/articles/053106-1.aspx

    I used this article to help me work out how to do exactly the sort of
    thing you are trying to do in the app my team develops.

    Cheers,
    Mark

    --
    |\ _,,,---,,_ A picture used to be worth a
    ZZZzzz /,`.-'`' -. ;-;;, thousand words - then along
    |,4- ) )-,_. ,\ ( `'-' came television!
    '---''(_/--' `-'\_)

    Mark Stevens (mark at thepcsite fullstop co fullstop uk)

    This message is provided "as is".
    Mark Stevens, Jul 4, 2009
  5. Andy B.

    Andy B. Guest

    I can do the checkboxes without a problem. It's the accessing the
    Row.DataItem or DataSource data related to the checked boxes that I have
    problems with.

    Andy B., Jul 4, 2009
  6. Andy B.

    Mark Stevens Guest

    Do you mean something like the following:

    foreach (GridViewRow row in gridView)
    {
    CheckBox cd;

    cb = (CheckBox) row.FindControl("CheckBoxName");
    if ((cb != null) && cb.Checked)
    {
    int id;

    id = row.Cells[0].Text;

    This assumes that the id field is in column 0 and that the column has
    been made visible.

    Cheers,
    Mark

    On Sat, 4 Jul 2009 08:24:38 -0400, "Andy B." <>
    wrote:

    >I can do the checkboxes without a problem. It's the accessing the
    >Row.DataItem or DataSource data related to the checked boxes that I have
    >problems with.
    >"Mark Stevens" <> wrote in message
    >>I think this article contains enough information to show you process
    >> the rows with the checked boxes:
    >>
    >> http://www.4guysfromrolla.com/articles/053106-1.aspx
    >>
    >> I used this article to help me work out how to do exactly the sort of
    >> thing you are trying to do in the app my team develops.
    >>
    >> Cheers,
    >> Mark
    >>
    >> On Fri, 3 Jul 2009 17:38:53 -0400, "Andy B." <>
    >> wrote:
    >>

    >>>Can you give me a simple example? This is what I have going on. There is a
    >>>Wizard on a WebUser control. It has a GridView on step 1 that uses a
    >>>List(Of
    >>>HeadlinesInfo) as its DataSource. The object HeadlinesInfo is a custom
    >>>business object. In the GridView, I have a column of CheckBoxes for
    >>>selecting the GridView rows. When I press next button, I want to loop
    >>>through the rows and put the datasource objects related to the checked
    >>>GridViewRows in another List(Of HeadlinesInfo) list. Would there be any
    >>>way
    >>>of doing something like this? I have tried just about all day and can't
    >>>figure it out yet. Thanks for the help.
    >>>"bruce barker" <> wrote in message

    >> --
    >> |\ _,,,---,,_ A picture used to be worth a
    >> ZZZzzz /,`.-'`' -. ;-;;, thousand words - then along
    >> |,4- ) )-,_. ,\ ( `'-' came television!
    >>
    >> Mark Stevens (mark at thepcsite fullstop co fullstop uk)
    >>
    >> This message is provided "as is".

    --
    |\ _,,,---,,_ A picture used to be worth a
    ZZZzzz /,`.-'`' -. ;-;;, thousand words - then along
    |,4- ) )-,_. ,\ ( `'-' came television!

    Mark Stevens, Jul 4, 2009