Accessing GridViewRow.DataItem outside of GridView databinding events

Andy B.

How do you access GridViewRow.DataItem without having to get to it inside
GridView events? I have a particular thing I am trying to do and forcing it
to be done inside gridviews events wont work.

bruce barker

use the GridView.DataSource, this is how it accesses it.

-- bruce (sqlwork.com)

Andy B.

Can you give me a simple example? This is what I have going on. There is a
Wizard on a WebUser control. It has a GridView on step 1 that uses a List(Of
HeadlinesInfo) as its DataSource. The object HeadlinesInfo is a custom
business object. In the GridView, I have a column of CheckBoxes for
selecting the GridView rows. When I press next button, I want to loop
through the rows and put the datasource objects related to the checked
GridViewRows in another List(Of HeadlinesInfo) list. Would there be any way
of doing something like this? I have tried just about all day and can't
figure it out yet. Thanks for the help.

Mark Stevens

I think this article contains enough information to show you process
the rows with the checked boxes:

http://www.4guysfromrolla.com/articles/053106-1.aspx

I used this article to help me work out how to do exactly the sort of
thing you are trying to do in the app my team develops.

Cheers,
Mark

--
|\ _,,,---,,_ A picture used to be worth a
ZZZzzz /,`.-'`' -. ;-;;, thousand words - then along
|,4- ) )-,_. ,\ ( `'-' came television!
'---''(_/--' `-'\_)

Mark Stevens (mark at thepcsite fullstop co fullstop uk)

This message is provided "as is".

Andy B.

I can do the checkboxes without a problem. It's the accessing the
Row.DataItem or DataSource data related to the checked boxes that I have
problems with.

Mark Stevens

Do you mean something like the following:

foreach (GridViewRow row in gridView)
{
CheckBox cd;

cb = (CheckBox) row.FindControl("CheckBoxName");
if ((cb != null) && cb.Checked)
{
int id;

id = row.Cells[0].Text;

This assumes that the id field is in column 0 and that the column has
been made visible.

Cheers,
Mark

I can do the checkboxes without a problem. It's the accessing the
Row.DataItem or DataSource data related to the checked boxes that I have
problems with.
--
|\ _,,,---,,_ A picture used to be worth a
ZZZzzz /,`.-'`' -. ;-;;, thousand words - then along
|,4- ) )-,_. ,\ ( `'-' came television!