Accessing hosted SQL remotely

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by eric302@gmail.com, Jul 23, 2007.

  1. Guest

    I've inherited an application with a SQL Server 2005 database and both
    a new PHP web-based frontend and an older, deprecated C# 2.0 Windows
    frontend. Most people use the web frontend now, but there are a
    sizable number of stubborn users who would rather switch applications
    than abandon their Windows client. The app uses practically no
    bandwith or disk space, so it's hosted on one of those cheap IIS
    shared hosting accounts, that just happened to allow direct logins to
    SQL Server for the Windows clients. But that host just decided it
    would restrict SQL access to local connections only, so while my PHP
    frontend still works, the Windows clients are now without service.

    Does anyone know of an inexpensive shared IIS/SQL host I could switch
    to that allows external connections to SQL? I'm assuming that's
    pretty much a long shot in this age of (justified) security
    paranoia....

    So if that's a "no", my real question is - is it possible to get
    around this using some sort of raw web interface to the data (most
    likely from ASP.NET), so I can modify the C# code to retrieve/post to
    that instead of using a connection string like it does now? I'm
    proficient in C#, but don't know much of anything about ASP.NET, Web
    Services, or WCF (or if those are even applicable), so a pointer in
    the right direction would be much appreciated.

    Thanks.
    -Eric

    , Jul 23, 2007

  2. When in doubt, "search":
    http://www.google.com/search?source=ig&hl=en&q=sqlwebadmin
    Peter
    --
    Recursion: see Recursion
    site: http://www.eggheadcafe.com

    =?Utf-8?B?UGV0ZXIgQnJvbWJlcmcgW0MjIE1WUF0=?=, Jul 23, 2007

    On Jul 22, 10:42 pm, Peter Bromberg [C# MVP]
    <> wrote:
    > When in doubt, "search":http://www.google.com/search?source=ig&hl=en&q=sqlwebadmin
    > Peter
    > --

    I'm not trying to administer the database, I'm trying to use a
    database-backed application. SqlWebAdmin seems like a web-based
    administration tool (like the phpMyAdmin I've used for mySQL)... are
    you suggesting that I install this tool then use an HTTP scripter/
    parser to extract the data I need? That seems a bit unweildy.

    , Jul 23, 2007
  4. Brandon Gano Guest

    DiscountASP.NET allows external connections, but they are $20/month with SQL
    Server 2005.

    Other than that, web services would do the job nicely. Google for a tutorial
    on writing web services for asp.net. It shouldn't be difficult if you have
    any XML experience.

    Brandon Gano, Jul 23, 2007

    On Jul 22, 11:43 pm, "Brandon Gano" <> wrote:
    > DiscountASP.NET allows external connections, but they are $20/month with SQL
    > Server 2005.
    >
    > Other than that, web services would do the job nicely. Google for a tutorial
    > on writing web services for asp.net. It shouldn't be difficult if you have
    > any XML experience.

    Thanks - these web services look pretty easy, and it looks like I can
    access it natively from the C# app, so that's a huge plus. Do these
    work with any ASP.NET host, or is it usually an added feature?

    , Jul 23, 2007
  6. Brandon Gano Guest

    I think web services should work on any ASP.NET host.

    Brandon Gano, Jul 23, 2007