    Any advices? Will my approach work? I'm not a Windows guy... :)

    --
    Godoy. <>

    Jorge Luiz Godoy Filho, Jan 19, 2005

  2. Jorge Luiz Godoy Filho

    Larry Bates Guest

    I'm assuming the application will be run on Windows.

    You can use ODBC or DAO.

    An DAO solution that I wrote (and use) can be found
    at:

    http://aspn.activestate.com/ASPN/Cookbook/Python/Recipe/303349

    For ODBC you would just use the standard library module.

    Larry Bates
    Syscon, Inc.

    Larry Bates, Jan 19, 2005

  3. Larry Bates, Quarta 19 Janeiro 2005 14:01, wrote:

    > I'm assuming the application will be run on Windows.

    You're right. It will be run on Windows. I discarded some other platform
    due to the difficulty of supporting this file format.

    > You can use ODBC or DAO.
    >
    > An DAO solution that I wrote (and use) can be found
    > at:
    >
    > http://aspn.activestate.com/ASPN/Cookbook/Python/Recipe/303349

    Thanks! I'm looking at it.

    > For ODBC you would just use the standard library module.

    Thanks. I'll be trying the DAO first.

    --
    Godoy. <>

    Jorge Luiz Godoy Filho, Jan 19, 2005
  4. Jorge Luiz Godoy Filho

    Steve Holden Guest

    Jorge Luiz Godoy Filho wrote:

    > Larry Bates, Quarta 19 Janeiro 2005 14:01, wrote:
    >

    >>I'm assuming the application will be run on Windows.

    > You're right. It will be run on Windows. I discarded some other platform
    > due to the difficulty of supporting this file format.
    >

    >>You can use ODBC or DAO.
    >>
    >>An DAO solution that I wrote (and use) can be found
    >>at:
    >>
    >>http://aspn.activestate.com/ASPN/Cookbook/Python/Recipe/303349

    > Thanks! I'm looking at it.
    >

    >>For ODBC you would just use the standard library module.

    > Thanks. I'll be trying the DAO first.

    Note that DAO is a very old library, and nowadays ADO would probably be
    the preferred method in the Windows environment (can DAO even *use*
    oledb providers?). ADO libraries are available - see

    http://www.markcarter.me.uk/computing/python/ado.html

    for example, or Google for "python ado". Bottom line, there are many
    ways to skin this particular cat.

    regards
    Steve
    --
    Steve Holden http://www.holdenweb.com/
    Holden Web LLC +1 703 861 4237 +1 800 494 3119

    Steve Holden, Jan 19, 2005
  5. Steve Holden, Quarta 19 Janeiro 2005 14:38, wrote:

    > Note that DAO is a very old library, and nowadays ADO would probably be
    > the preferred method in the Windows environment (can DAO even *use*
    > oledb providers?). ADO libraries are available - see
    >
    > http://www.markcarter.me.uk/computing/python/ado.html
    >
    > for example, or Google for "python ado". Bottom line, there are many
    > ways to skin this particular cat.

    Hmmm... I see. I'm trying to avoid having to install external modules at
    my client's server. Should I use, given that both DAO and ODBC are
    available with the win32all extensions, DAO or ODBC?

    Or would ADO give me so much more performance that I should really use it?

    --
    Godoy. <>

    Jorge Luiz Godoy Filho, Jan 19, 2005
  6. Jorge Luiz Godoy Filho, Quarta 19 Janeiro 2005 14:25, wrote:

    > Thanks! I'm looking at it.

    Worked like a charm! And just now I noticed who's the author of the
    recipe ;-)

    Thanks!
    --
    Godoy. <>

    Jorge Luiz Godoy Filho, Jan 19, 2005
  7. Jorge Luiz Godoy Filho, Quarta 19 Janeiro 2005 15:17, wrote:

    > Hmmm... I see. I'm trying to avoid having to install external modules
    > at
    > my client's server. Should I use, given that both DAO and ODBC are
    > available with the win32all extensions, DAO or ODBC?
    >
    > Or would ADO give me so much more performance that I should really use it?

    I've also made it work with ADO... It doesn't require me to use the
    'makepy' on it, so this might be a better choice if I have to deploy for
    more machines.

    I think I'll go with ADO.

    Thanks Larry and Steve.

    --
    Godoy. <>

    Jorge Luiz Godoy Filho, Jan 19, 2005
  8. Jorge Luiz Godoy Filho

    David Fraser Guest

    Jorge Luiz Godoy Filho wrote:
    > Jorge Luiz Godoy Filho, Quarta 19 Janeiro 2005 14:25, wrote:
    >

    >>Thanks! I'm looking at it.

    > Worked like a charm! And just now I noticed who's the author of the
    > recipe ;-)

    You may also be interested in using a DB-API compatible driver for ADO -
    see for example http://adodbapi.sourceforge.net/
    That way if you want to switch to a different database you can more
    easily...

    David

    David Fraser, Jan 20, 2005