Accessing MDB files on Windows

Jorge Luiz Godoy Filho

Hi,

What is the best way to deal with MDB files? I was thinking on using
ODBC... I'll need to read and write some information to it. The load
won't be so high, but there might be a lot of data.

Any advices? Will my approach work? I'm not a Windows guy... :)

Jorge Luiz Godoy Filho

Larry said:
I'm assuming the application will be run on Windows.

You're right. It will be run on Windows. I discarded some other platform
due to the difficulty of supporting this file format.
You can use ODBC or DAO.

An DAO solution that I wrote (and use) can be found
at:

http://aspn.activestate.com/ASPN/Cookbook/Python/Recipe/303349

Thanks! I'm looking at it.
For ODBC you would just use the standard library module.

Thanks. I'll be trying the DAO first.

Steve Holden

Jorge said:
Larry Bates, Quarta 19 Janeiro 2005 14:01, wrote:

You're right. It will be run on Windows. I discarded some other platform
due to the difficulty of supporting this file format.

Thanks! I'm looking at it.

Thanks. I'll be trying the DAO first.
Note that DAO is a very old library, and nowadays ADO would probably be
the preferred method in the Windows environment (can DAO even *use*
oledb providers?). ADO libraries are available - see

http://www.markcarter.me.uk/computing/python/ado.html

for example, or Google for "python ado". Bottom line, there are many
ways to skin this particular cat.

regards
Steve

Jorge Luiz Godoy Filho

Steve said:
Note that DAO is a very old library, and nowadays ADO would probably be
the preferred method in the Windows environment (can DAO even *use*
oledb providers?). ADO libraries are available - see

http://www.markcarter.me.uk/computing/python/ado.html

for example, or Google for "python ado". Bottom line, there are many
ways to skin this particular cat.

Hmmm... I see. I'm trying to avoid having to install external modules at
my client's server. Should I use, given that both DAO and ODBC are
available with the win32all extensions, DAO or ODBC?

Or would ADO give me so much more performance that I should really use it?

Jorge Luiz Godoy Filho

Jorge said:
Hmmm... I see. I'm trying to avoid having to install external modules
at
my client's server. Should I use, given that both DAO and ODBC are
available with the win32all extensions, DAO or ODBC?

Or would ADO give me so much more performance that I should really use it?

I've also made it work with ADO... It doesn't require me to use the
'makepy' on it, so this might be a better choice if I have to deploy for
more machines.

I think I'll go with ADO.

Thanks Larry and Steve.

David Fraser

Jorge said:
Jorge Luiz Godoy Filho, Quarta 19 Janeiro 2005 14:25, wrote:

Worked like a charm! And just now I noticed who's the author of the
recipe ;-)

You may also be interested in using a DB-API compatible driver for ADO -
see for example http://adodbapi.sourceforge.net/
That way if you want to switch to a different database you can more
easily...

David