Accessing members of a user control from the aspx page.

Discussion in 'ASP .Net Web Controls' started by Dave, Sep 28, 2004.

  1. Dave

    Dave Guest

    I am having a hell of a time getting this working. I have a huge aspx page
    that is using a tab control and a multipage control. To make things easy on
    myself I decided to have each tab be a separate Web User Control. When the
    page loads, the user controls show up in the correct tabs, but I can't access
    the data. I want to be able to populate a bunch of text boxes and labels
    with data that I pull from a SQL db. I first tried to set the members as
    public static, but that throws a runtime error in a hidden line. Now I am
    exposing the members in the standard way with:

    public string expTxtFirstName
    {
    set
    {
    txtFirstName.Text = value;
    }
    get
    {
    return txtFirstName.Text;

    This is also throwing a runtime error saying Object reference not set to an
    instance of an object for the first member it comes to (txtFirstName).

    Here is the class & textbox declaration:
    public class Customer : System.Web.UI.UserControl
    {
    protected internal System.Web.UI.WebControls.TextBox txtFirstName;

    I even tried to have a function local to the Customer class that could set
    those values, but it fails with the same error. I even tried making a new
    ascx page and recreating the code there, but it does the same thing.

    What am I screwing up?

    Thanks

    dave
    Dave, Sep 28, 2004

  2. the user control isn't part of the page which is why it has its own code
    behind file. your best bet is to redesign this

    --
    Regards,
    Alvin Bruney

    Alvin Bruney [MVP], Sep 29, 2004

  3. Dave

    Dave Guest

    I understand that a web user control has its own codebehind. Every class has
    separate code. But that does not explain why the autosense will list the
    functions or members that I expose but throw a runtime error.

    When I set the textboxes to be static it throws this:
    Compiler Error Message: CS0176: Static member
    'CMAlite.Controls.Customer.txtFirstName' cannot be accessed with an instance
    reference; qualify it with a type name instead.
    Line 66: #line default
    Line 67: #line hidden
    Line 68: this.txtFirstName = __ctrl;
    Line 69:
    Line 70: #line 8 "http://localhost/CMAlite/Controls/customer.ascx"

    Thats not even from my code and nobody so far has been able to explain to me
    what I'm doing wrong.

    Dave Coursey

    Dave, Sep 29, 2004
  4. post a small sample which demonstrates the problem i will take a look
    use this as a guide http://www.yoda.arachsys.com/csharp/complete.html

    --
    Regards,
    Alvin Bruney

    Alvin Bruney [MVP], Sep 29, 2004
  5. Remember that even not shown user controls get events like OnLoad... So
    maybe if there are many user controls on your page, maybe it's not the
    control in question that's making problems. Check the stack trace and see
    which control and what method is producing an error.

    --
    RobertK
    { Clever? No just smart. }

    Robert Koritnik, Sep 29, 2004
  6. Dave

    Dave Guest

    > post a small sample which demonstrates the problem i will take a look
    > use this as a guide http://www.yoda.arachsys.com/csharp/complete.html

    Ok, I read your document and this is as short and sweet as I could get it.
    It requires an .aspx page and an .ascx web user control. I'm leaving off the
    html for the aspx and ascx pages because all you need to do is drop a textbox
    on the control and drop the control on the page. At this point I think I
    just have something fundamentally wrong, but I would like to find out why
    this isn't "allowed".

    ..aspx code behind page

    using System;
    using TESTbug.Controls;

    namespace TESTbug
    {
    /// <summary>
    /// Summary description for cma.
    /// </summary>
    public class main : System.Web.UI.Page
    {
    protected Microsoft.Web.UI.WebControls.TabStrip tabStrip;
    protected Microsoft.Web.UI.WebControls.MultiPage multiPage;

    control.txtFirstName.Text = "This won't work";

    //left out for clarity, nothing has been
    altered
    #endregion

    ascx page code behind

    namespace TESTbug.Controls
    {
    using System;

    /// <summary>
    /// Summary description for customer.
    /// </summary>
    public class control : System.Web.UI.UserControl
    {
    public static System.Web.UI.WebControls.TextBox txtFirstName;

    //nothing

    //left out for clarity, nothing has been
    altered
    #endregion

    Thank you for your help
    dave
    Dave, Sep 29, 2004
  7. Dave

    Dave Guest

    I thought of that, but when I look at the stack trace it lists every single
    member that I made static as an error, not just the current member.

    Dave, Sep 29, 2004
  8. post the html please

    --
    Regards,
    Alvin Bruney

    Alvin Bruney [MVP], Sep 29, 2004
  9. Ok, here you go.

    aspx page:

    <%@ Register TagPrefix="s2f" TagName="control" src="control.ascx" %>
    <%@ Page language="c#" Codebehind="main.aspx.cs" AutoEventWireup="false"
    Inherits="TESTbug.main" %>
    <head>
    <title>test</title>
    </head>
    <form id=mainForm method=post runat="server">
    <s2f:control id="control" runat="server"></s2f:control>
    </form>

    ascx page

    <%@ Control Language="c#" AutoEventWireup="false"
    Codebehind="control.ascx.cs" Inherits="TESTbug.Controls.control"
    TargetSchema="http://schemas.microsoft.com/intellisense/ie5" %>
    <asp:textbox id="txtFirstName" runat="server"></asp:textbox>

    David A. Coursey, Sep 29, 2004
  10. hmmm.................................................................................................................................................................................................................................

    i'm looking into this. i can reproduce it. it appears to be a bug at first
    glance. gimme a couple days on this.

    --
    Regards,
    Alvin Bruney

    Alvin Bruney [MVP], Sep 29, 2004
  11. do you have this compiling. i swear mine compiled a while ago. now it will
    not compile at this line
    control.txtFirstName.Text = "This won't work";

    rightfully stating that txtFirstName.Text is inaccessible.

    check again to see if it compiles. if it does, zip the bare bones and send
    it to me

    i have a fix for it but it might be moot if it doesn't compile correctly
    --
    Regards,
    Alvin Bruney

    Alvin Bruney [MVP], Sep 30, 2004
  12. you've made the textbox a static instance. controls cannot be static because
    it interfers with the viewstate mechanism. instead you should store the data
    in a static variable. consider a get/set method to move the data in the
    textbox into a static reference

    --
    Regards,
    Alvin Bruney

    Alvin Bruney [MVP], Sep 30, 2004
  13. Ok, that clears that up, but now the other question is why do I get an error
    when using the get/set method? It compiles fine, but when it runs it throws
    an error because it can't find the item that is being set/get.
    Try this code in place of the other:

    www.3doverdose.com/dl/CMAstripped02.zip

    David A. Coursey, Sep 30, 2004
  14. i believe you are running into a caching problem notorius with user
    controls. try closing the project restarting iis and re-opening the
    solution. see if that helps

    --
    Regards,
    Alvin Bruney

    Alvin Bruney [MVP], Sep 30, 2004
  15. No dice... I can even reboot and it will still have the same results.
    Could this be a bad install possibly?

    David A. Coursey, Sep 30, 2004
  16. > No dice... I can even reboot and it will still have the same results.
    > Could this be a bad install possibly?

    no, because i am getting as well.

    i'll take a closer look in a while (mildly busy at the moment).

    --
    Regards,
    Alvin Bruney

    Alvin Bruney [MVP], Sep 30, 2004
  17. I'm stopping just short of calling this behavior a bug.

    I need to do a couple days research on this because clearly i don't
    understand what is going on.

    From what i gather so far,the main page fires its page load events, next the
    usercontrols load event fires. at this point strangely, the textbox declared
    on the page is a null reference. so attempting to assign variables at the
    point will bomb.

    i had success with moving the assignment to the page unload event. but even
    there, the expected behavior is somewhat quirky; it will bomb the first
    time, but work as intended for every subsequent run. I understand the
    usercontrols are self contained and the design should reflect this but it
    doesn't explain why this is happening.

    i feel like a deer stuck in the headlights tehehehe. it will probably be a
    week or so before i have something definitive on this.

    --
    Regards,
    Alvin Bruney

    Alvin Bruney [MVP], Sep 30, 2004
  18. Thank you very much for even taking the time to look into this. I am very
    interested in what your results may be because I was very confused as well.
    For now I will redesign the pages without user controls (which will make one
    gi-normus aspx page) and keep moving forward on the project.

    Again, thank you for your help
    David A. Coursey

    David A. Coursey, Oct 1, 2004
  19. oooops,
    did you figure this out? This message was lost in my pending box for a
    couple weeks

    --
    Regards,
    Alvin Bruney

    Alvin Bruney [MVP], Nov 2, 2004
  20. I just came back to look at this post again.

    No I never did get it to work. I ended up ditching the user controls and
    having the code all on one aspx page. This is really a bad way to work
    because I am unable to switch to design view, the code gets horribly hacked
    if I do.

    dave

    David A. Coursey, Jan 14, 2005