Accessing Micro$oft Exchange from Java

Discussion in 'Java' started by Neil Barnwell, Jul 15, 2004.

  1. Hi Guys,

    Does anyone know of any (good) examples of
    accessing Exchange server information in Java?

    Specifically I want to create a web app which replicates
    the Outlook month calendar, but rather than showing
    appointments, simply shows the names of people who
    have appointments on each day. The user would
    probably then click them as hyperlinks or something
    to get more detailed information.

    This seems to me to involve the following:

    - Accessing Exchange from Java.
    - Accessing a global contacts store (I only want
    ~40 employees out of possibly hundreds, here).
    - Accessing the Appointments for those employees
    for the time period selected.

    Does anyone have any pointers?

    Cheers,

    <Barney />

    Neil Barnwell, Jul 15, 2004

  2. Neil Barnwell

    Daniel Hagen Guest

    Neil Barnwell wrote:
    [...]
    > This seems to me to involve the following:
    >
    > - Accessing Exchange from Java.
    > - Accessing a global contacts store (I only want
    > ~40 employees out of possibly hundreds, here).
    > - Accessing the Appointments for those employees
    > for the time period selected.
    >
    > Does anyone have any pointers?

    The Exchange information store can be accessed via LDAP. Have a look at
    the JNDI docs for detailed information on how to do this in Java.

    A description of the Exchange directory schema can be found on MSDN.
    There are also a lot of code examples for doing this using ADSI, they
    shouldn't be difficult to port.

    This works fine for contact information but I don't know wether you will
    be able to query calendar information this way. You propably should ask
    this question in the respective Exchange Newsgroup too.

    Regards

    Daniel

    Daniel Hagen, Jul 15, 2004