Accessing MS Access DB in different site

Discussion in 'ASP General' started by AnthonyWJones, Jan 19, 2006.

  1. 1.) You will need to use a mapped drive or UNC to open the access DB on
    another server.

    You should consider something stronger. MSDE or SQL 2005 Express and are
    much better suited to this task. However you may not be in a position to
    port for MS Access to one of these.

    Another option is to use ASP pages to perform all your DB interactions for
    you and use XML as the protocol between your application and the 'Accessor'
    ASP pages.

    What are you writing this new program in?

    2. What to you mean by a 'public server'?

    AnthonyWJones, Jan 19, 2006

  2. Edward Low wrote:
    > Hi All,
    >
    > I had been assigned a task to develop a program which require to
    > access MS Access data in multiple sites from our headquater.

    Already answered over in .db

    Please do not multipost Edward. This is definitely a database-related
    question so .asp.db was the perfect group in which to post it. Posting it
    here as well did not increase your chances of getting an answer (most of us
    subscribe to both groups). On the contrary, if somebody had taken his time
    to answer it here, only to find that it was already resolved in the other
    group, that person may have been annoyed enough to ignore any future posts
    from you, thereby decreasing your chances of getting help in the future.

    There are times when you will not be sure which group is most appropriate
    (again, this was not one of them), and you will want to post a question to
    both groups. In that situation, you should use the cross-posting technique,
    rather than posting the same message multiple times. To crosspost, put
    a semicolon-delimited* list of the newsgroups to which you wish to post in
    the To: header of your post and post it once. It, and any replies to it,
    will appear in all the newsgroups in your list. So, if I reply in .asp.db,
    my reply will also appear here in .asp.general.

    * ... or whatever delimiter is recognized by your news client

    --
    Microsoft MVP - ASP/ASP.NET
    "NO SPAM"

    Edward Low, Jan 19, 2006
  4. AnthonyWJones

    Edward Low Guest

    Hi,

    My apologize for posting same message into multiple groups, and thanks for
    the suggestion of cross-posting technique.

    best regards,

    Edward

    Edward Low, Jan 20, 2006
  5. AnthonyWJones

    Edward Low Guest

    Hi,

    Thanks for the answers of first question.

    2. In fact, all the branches have their own program written in MS Access.
    Now, we need to access these data of every branch from the headquater.
    therefore, i have been assigned to developed an ASP.Net web application
    which will be hosted at he headquater at the end and able to access all the
    branches data based on the selection of the branch. Is there any other good
    suggestion to accomplish this task?

    The mean of "public server" mean a shared server for hosting.

    By the way, can you explain more on the option "use XML as the protocol
    between your application and the 'Accessor' ASP pages"

    Thanks & best regards,

    Edward

    Edward Low, Jan 20, 2006