Accessing MS Virtual Earth using ASP.Net

John Morgan

I have been looking at the Microsoft Virtual Earth SDK. As far as I
can see I have to incorporate it in a web page using a control based
on Javascript through web services

It being a Microsoft control I assume that I can access it directly
from asp.net. I am thinking it will be easier to incorporate it if I
can use asp.net.

I would be grateful if someone could advise me on this,

Best wishes, John Morgan

Jacob

The reason you have to access it through JavaScript is that the
clientside scripting is responsible for fetching the images from MS and
moving them around as you move around on the map. If you did it using
only ASP.NET then you would have to do about a million postbacks to
move your map around and create markers, open windows etc.

If you are looking for a map on your page I have made an ASP.NET
control for Google Maps which works well (especially the licensed
version) - http://www.reimers.dk

John Morgan

Thank you Jacob,

Your control looks to be exactly the sort of thing I am looking for .

I am just starting to look at incorporating maps into my work and MS
Virtual Earth to me looks very impressive.

Your control is for Google maps. Is there a reason why you used Google
Maps rather than Virtual Earth.?

Best wishes, John Morgan

Jacob

When I started developing the control VE was not nearly at the stage of
Google Maps and the hacking possibilities were better, so I went for
the better quality. Furthermore integration with Google Earth is easier
with Google Maps which is a definite plus. I assume the move to VE
should be fairly easy (albeit time consuming) and I imagine someone has
already made an ASP.NET control for VE.

John Morgan

Thanks again Jacob.

It is not currently a matter of great importance as to which I use,
Google or MS

My aim is to get something a map on site,

Your control seems well established and well supported, I will give it
a go!

Best wishes, John Morgan