Accessing .Net web application from UNIX

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by Tony Baker, Sep 3, 2003.

  1. Tony Baker

    Tony Baker Guest

    Hi, being a Windows developer and not having anything to do with
    UNIX/Solaris, I have a few questions about accessing .Net Web
    Applications from such environments.

    If a client has a UNIX/Solaris environment, is it possible to put a
    Windows 2000 box on the network which hosts a .Net web application and
    access it from other UNIX machines on the network (via Netscape or
    whatever)?
    Is this as straight forward as plugging a network cable in to the back
    of a windows box and directing any machines Browser on the network to
    the web site on the win machine?

    What issues would we face? Any handy web sites to help me through
    this?!

    Cheers,

    Tony.

    Tony Baker, Sep 3, 2003

  2. Sure, you just need to configure the TCP/IP settings so that the
    machines can see each other (nothing out of the ordinary). You won't
    be able to take advantage of Windows-specific IIS features, but if you
    keep it simple (Netscape's not so hot when it comes to HTML), you
    shouldn't have any problems.

    -mike
    MVP

    Michael Giagnocavo [MVP], Sep 3, 2003

  3. It shouldn't be a problem. I am not sure what type of application you are
    publishing - and that will affect which approach you take.

    HTML application
    - Just use ASP.NET and make sure that the HTML you emit is appropriate for
    your client browsers.
    - If you are using authentication, use Forms-based or Basic/(prefereably
    with SSL)

    Web Services over HTTP
    - Use standard ASMX infrastructure
    - Make sure that the types you are exposing are usable from the client
    platform. Avoid the dataset etc.

    Sockets
    - Use the sockets classes in the Framework System.Net.Sockets
    -
    frlrfsystemnetsockets.asp

    Hope this helps.

    Richard Burte