Accessing network file form ASP page

Discussion in 'ASP General' started by Lamberti Fabrizio, Mar 4, 2005.

  1. Hi all,
    I've to access to a network file from an asp pages.

    I've red a lot of things on old posts and on Microsoft article but I can't
    still solve my problem.

    I've got two server inside the same NT domain, each one has its own web
    server.

    The web server is always IIS 5.0.

    One of this web server have to access to a network file in writing mode
    inside the other server.

    I've tried using this code
    -------------------
    Set fso = Server.CreateObject("Scripting.fileSystemObject")
    uri=\\web21bcklab\c$\Inetpub\wwwroot\WebModules\Logger\debugLog.txt
    Response.Write fso.FileExists(uri)
    ---------------------

    the existence check returns always false. why ?

    How can I solve this problem ?

    thx

    Lamberti Fabrizio, Mar 4, 2005

    http://www.aspfaq.com/show.asp?id=2168

    --
    Tom Kaminski IIS MVP
    http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/

    Tom Kaminski [MVP], Mar 4, 2005

  3. He is not trying to access an Access file but rather a text file. I think
    the problem is using an administrative share. c$, rather than a public
    share.

    Set up a public share on the directory containing the file, e.g., pubdir,
    and access it as \\pubdir\filename.

    Tom Skinner [ C# MVP]

    Thomas P. Skinner [MVP], Mar 4, 2005
  4. It's the same with a public share.

    I've already tried it

    Lamberti Fabrizio, Mar 4, 2005
  5. Yes - but the procedure provided by Aaron is the same.

    Good point about the share - C$ is only available to admins.

    Tom Kaminski [MVP], Mar 4, 2005
  6. > He is not trying to access an Access file but rather a text file.

    The problem is still the same. IUSR cannot touch a text for the same
    reasons it can't touch an MDB file... the other machine doesn't know who he
    is!

    > I think the problem is using an administrative share. c$, rather than a

    public
    > share.

    Yes, this definitely part of the problem. The only way you could have C$ be
    used is if you add WebServer\IUSR_WebServer to the local admin group on the
    server web21bcklab ... not exactly a recommended approach, but I guess it
    depends on the environment. I'd prefer to have public shares explicitly
    granted access than suddenly give IUSR carte blanche over the whole server.

    Aaron [SQL Server MVP], Mar 4, 2005
  7. Your solution is formally correct but it's doesn't solve completly my
    problem.

    I've an asp file inside a virtual directory with necessary only Windows
    Integrated Authentication enabled. That file have to access to text file
    inside another host member of the same NT domain.

    The authentication inside asp file is made only with domain user. By this
    domain users I can manually access to tha text file, but my web server can
    not.

    Does my web server always access to text file on network share only by using
    IUSR_webserver user ?

    Lamberti Fabrizio, Mar 6, 2005
  8. Lamberti Fabrizio

    Roland Hall Guest

    :
    : -------------------
    : ---------------------
    :
    : the existence check returns always false. why ?
    :
    : How can I solve this problem ?

    How often does it need to be accessed and how updated does the data need to
    be?

    --
    Roland Hall
    or fitness for a particular purpose. */

    Roland Hall, Mar 6, 2005
  9. It's not the web server, but rather the ISAPI extension. In this case
    ASP.dll. ASP.NET doesn't run under IUSR_server, but rather under the account
    ASPNET on XP Pro and under NETWORK on WS3 if I recall correctly. With
    ASP.NET there are ways of impersonating a user and therefore any actions by
    that user would have that users security token. Unfortunately I don't think
    there is any way to do this under ASP other than writing your own ISAPI
    extension. You are probably stuck with IUSR_server credentials. I might be
    wrong though. Personally I would switch to ASP.NET.

    You can always put this file in its own directory and make it a public
    writable share and then your server could access it regardless of
    authentication credentials. Of course this offers no protection.

    Tom Skinner [C# MVP]

    Thomas P. Skinner [MVP], Mar 6, 2005
  10. I can't understand why you want to know this kind of information.

    That file could be access a lot of time in some days and just a few in other
    ones

    Lamberti Fabrizio, Mar 6, 2005
  11. > I can't understand why you want to know this kind of information.

    Why can't you just answer the question, instead of being defensive about it?
    Maybe the response after that would show you why he was asking...

    He was probably wondering if the file could be copied locally on a schedule,
    so that ASP had access to it locally. Then you don't have to change
    permissions and deal with an app having access to important shares.

    You should look into DFS, perhaps.

    Aaron [SQL Server MVP], Mar 6, 2005
  12. I can't move to local that text file.

    I have to access remotely to that file by using an asp file publish on a web
    server.

    Lamberti Fabrizio, Mar 6, 2005
  13. Then you're going to have to set IIS to run that application/virtual
    directory/site as a domain authenticated user instead of IUSR. Again,
    http://www.aspfaq.com/show.asp?id=2168 tells you how to change the user that
    IIS impersonates. You should read through it.

    --
    http://www.aspfaq.com/
    (Reverse address to reply.)

    Aaron [SQL Server MVP], Mar 6, 2005
  14. Lamberti Fabrizio

    Roland Hall Guest

    :> I can't understand why you want to know this kind of information.
    :
    : Why can't you just answer the question, instead of being defensive about
    it?
    : Maybe the response after that would show you why he was asking...
    :
    : He was probably wondering if the file could be copied locally on a
    schedule,
    : so that ASP had access to it locally. Then you don't have to change
    : permissions and deal with an app having access to important shares.
    :
    : You should look into DFS, perhaps.

    You were right on the money.

    Roland Hall, Mar 6, 2005
  15. Lamberti Fabrizio

    Roland Hall Guest

    :I can't understand why you want to know this kind of information.
    :
    : That file could be access a lot of time in some days and just a few in
    other
    : ones
    :
    : >
    : > How often does it need to be accessed and how updated does the data need
    : > be?
    : >

    To not be able to open up security, you could use WSH to make the file
    available locally so the user could access it with the rights they have
    right now.

    I have a service I offer to customers that sign up for it for a product I
    have written. Shipping tables update sometimes weekly. It is a annoying
    process to update these manually. I have automated the procedure and allow
    people to get it from me in the format they need so they don't have to do it
    themselves. I pull data from the vendor's web sites with WSH and update
    their config.asp file. This file is scheduled with AT. It works well.

    If you are unable to do something similar then, as Aaron said, you're going
    to have open up your security so the users have access.

    Roland Hall, Mar 6, 2005
  16. > The authentication inside asp file is made only with domain user. By
    > this domain users I can manually access to tha text file, but my web
    > server can not.

    This is the classic "double hop" scenario. Integrated Authentication(NTLM)
    does not support "double hop" because the web server is not authorized to do
    so.

    Authentication choices that allow double hop include:
    1. Basic
    2. Integrated Authentication(Kerberos)
    3. Custom Authentication that mimics #1 or #2 in principle
    4. Protocol Transition from (Whatever)->Kerberos

    The following URL should have the necessary pointers to set this up. It
    talks about things in terms of a UNC vdir, but it is really not much
    different than an ASP page accessing a UNC share.

    http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/windowsserver2003/technologies/webapp/iis/remstorg.mspx

    I believe IIS5 supports choices #1, #2, and #3.

    FYI: There is a difference between using the domain user to manually access
    the text file and having the domain user login to the web server and use the
    web server access the text file using the domain user's identity. Namely,
    when the domain user manually accesses the text file, they are directly
    doing this action (no delegation through third party). Meanwhile, with a web
    server, the user only authenticates to the web server and can touch objects
    on that server as themselves; the web server does not have permissions to
    access other network resources on behalf of the user. If this looks
    illogical to you, consider when a user accesses your webserver, whether your
    web server should be allowed to withdraw money from their bank's remote
    server as the user (instead of copying a file to a remote server as the
    user). The two actions are identical from a networking/trust perspective,
    but one action is clearly ok while the other is not ok. The reason that it
    is not ok is the reason your current ASP page is failing.

    --
    //David
    IIS

    David Wang [Msft], Mar 7, 2005
  17. The solution described in your url is formally correct, but it is not
    suitable to my problem.

    My text file must be accessed only by an ASP file or application that use
    only Integrated Windows Authentication.

    Your solution is correct but it uses Anonymous Access.

    Lamberti Fabrizio, Mar 7, 2005
  18. your suggestion is correct but now I've got this strange problem.

    When I use my asp page (try.asp) to access the text file by this url
    http://IIS_WebServerName/try.asp, it is all right, but when I use this url
    http://IIS_WebServerName.DomainName.Ext/try.asp , I obtain the usual error:
    my asp page can't access the text file.

    Can you still help me?

    Lamberti Fabrizio, Mar 7, 2005
  19. Lamberti Fabrizio, Mar 7, 2005
  20. This is most likely a browser-side issue. For example, IE authenticates
    differently depending on whether the server name has dots in it or not (it
    treats it as different zones).

    IIS does not alter behavior based on server name (unless you configured host
    header and DNS incorrectly or have server-side application that alters
    behavior based on SERVER_NAME server variable). It is just another
    identifier as far as IIS is concerned.

    David Wang [Msft], Mar 7, 2005