Accessing Server.Mappath from SoapExtension

Discussion in 'ASP .Net Web Services' started by PA, May 19, 2004.

  1. PA

    PA Guest

    I need to log all incoming soap messages in a file.

    I have follwing code in WriteInput routine of SoapExtension class

    Dim Server As System.Web.HttpServerUtility

    AppPath = Server.MapPath("App.ini")

    When I run the application, I get following error:

    Object reference not set to an instance of an object to server.MapPath line.

    can anyone tell me how to access/Set Server and it's properties?

    Or is there any other way to access a particular file?

    Thanks in advance.

    Pratibha

    PA, May 19, 2004

  2. you have not initialized your Server variable.

    you want

    Dim Server As System.Web.HttpServerUtility
    Server = System.Web.HttpContext.Current.Server

    A defensive coder may want to do this:

    if (System.Web.HttpContext.Current <> nothing ) then
    Server = System.Web.HttpContext.Current.Server

    (sorry I don't know VB syntax but you get the idea...)

    In other words, the System.Web.HttpContext.Current is a static member. If
    it is not set, then you have no HttpContext (which means your code is
    probably not running within ASP.NET) and if you have no context, then you
    cannot access the Server property of that context.

    -Dino

    Dino Chiesa [Microsoft], May 19, 2004