Accessing string arrays using classic ASP (vbscript)

Discussion in 'ASP General' started by ASPfool, Apr 21, 2005.

  1. ASPfool

    ASPfool Guest

    Hello everyone,

    Please help me before I throw my computer out of the window:

    I'm working on a web application in classic ASP (vbscript), which is making
    calls to some webservices. The calls are made using SOAP - i installed the
    SOAP3 toolkit on my windows 2k server to enable this. The webservice calls
    are returning String Arrays which I can't seem to do anything useful with.

    The call shown below returns a string array with two elements (stored in
    returnedData):

    dim returnedData
    returnedData=SoapClient3.createCase(param1, param2, param3)
    set SoapClient3=nothing

    response.write "<br>"&vartype(returnedData) '8200
    response.write "<br>"&typename(returnedData) 'String()
    response.write "<br>"&ubound(returnedData) '1

    The call to the webservice works just fine, and my data is successfully sent
    to the other system, however I don't seem to be able to do anything with the
    returned string array stored in 'returnedData', bar identify the vartype
    (8200) and typename (String()), and number of elements (2 as expected).

    As soon as I try something like;

    response.write returnedData(1) '(line 58)

    I get the error:

    Error Type:
    Microsoft VBScript runtime (0x800A000D)
    Type mismatch
    /bwc/ordercomplete.asp, line 58

    All other attempts to do something useful with the array fail too, e.g.

    myString=Join(returnedData)

    results in:

    Error Type:
    Microsoft VBScript runtime (0x800A01CA)
    Variable uses an Automation type not supported in VBScript
    /bwc/ordercomplete.asp, line 59

    I really need to be able to access these array values - and cannot see any
    means of doing it. I'd be very grateful for any help,

    Regards,
    Jon.

    ASPfool, Apr 21, 2005

  2. ASPfool

    Mark Schupp Guest

    Have you tried explicitly casting the array element to a string?

    Response.Write CStr(returnedData(1))

    --
    Mark Schupp
    Head of Development

    Mark Schupp, Apr 21, 2005

  3. ASPfool

    ASPfool Guest

    Thanks for your input Mark.

    Response.Write CStr(returnedData(1)) 'line 58

    results in....

    Error Type:
    Microsoft VBScript runtime (0x800A000D)
    Type mismatch
    /bwc/ordercomplete.asp, line 58

    Any more ideas anyone?

    ASPfool, Apr 22, 2005
  4. ASPfool

    Mark Schupp Guest

    Unfortunately I have never done anything with SOAP. I just had a quick look
    at the help file and it looks like you can modify the "type mapper". That
    may be the approach you need to take.

    It also appears that there are ways to get the data back as a list of XML
    nodes.

    First I would try to get the raw XML back and see what it looks like.

    --
    --Mark Schupp
    Head of Development

    Mark Schupp, Apr 22, 2005
  5. ASPfool

    ASPfool Guest

    Hi Mark,

    Thanks again for the reply. I'll look into the type mapper options... In
    terms of 'getting the raw xml back' - would something like this do the trick?

    dim oDOM
    Set oDOM = Server.CreateObject("MSXML2.DOMDocument.4.0")
    oDOM.loadXML(SoapClient3.createCase(param1, param2, param3))
    response.write(oDOM.XML)

    Cheers,
    Jon.

    ASPfool, Apr 25, 2005
  6. ASPfool

    Mark Schupp Guest

    check the soap toolkit help file. There was something about it returning a
    nodelist instead of a specific variant type if there was no type mapper
    defined in the configuration files.

    --
    Mark Schupp

    Mark Schupp, Apr 25, 2005
  7. ASPfool

    ASPfool Guest

    Thanks Mark. In the end I felt that it was too difficult to sort this within
    classic asp, so with some wonderful fudging, I've sent the data to an
    intermediary asp.net file, made by web service call, and forwarded the
    returned values to my classic asp app. In future, I think i'll write
    everything in .net.... I guess its time to abandon the classic asp ship!

    Thanks again for all your input,
    regards,
    Jon.

    ASPfool, Apr 25, 2005