accessing symbol tables from compiled code with debug options turned on.

Mel

i have a need to access variables from outside of my applications. i
need to parse the compiler created symbol tables and store them so that

i can reference them later. these include C++ object handles,
variables, both static and otherwise. something in the line of "nm"
command

can someone point me in the right direction
thanks

mlimber

Mel said:
i have a need to access variables from outside of my applications. i
need to parse the compiler created symbol tables and store them so that

i can reference them later. these include C++ object handles,
variables, both static and otherwise. something in the line of "nm"
command

can someone point me in the right direction
thanks

This is outside the scope of standard C++, which is the sole topic of
this newsgroup. I'd suggest you post in a newsgroup for your compiler.
Depending on what you need to do, you might be able to attach to the
running process with your debugger and inspect its data (works with gdb
and Microsoft's) or utilize some method for interprocess communication
on your OS. Generally speaking, those techniques are preferable to
peering inside the compiled code, which seems like an inherently
fragile method.

Cheers! --M