    command

    can someone point me in the right direction
    thanks
    Mel, Dec 6, 2005

  2. Mel

    mlimber Guest

    Mel wrote:
    > i have a need to access variables from outside of my applications. i
    > need to parse the compiler created symbol tables and store them so that
    >
    > i can reference them later. these include C++ object handles,
    > variables, both static and otherwise. something in the line of "nm"
    > command
    >

    > can someone point me in the right direction
    > thanks

    This is outside the scope of standard C++, which is the sole topic of
    this newsgroup. I'd suggest you post in a newsgroup for your compiler.
    Depending on what you need to do, you might be able to attach to the
    running process with your debugger and inspect its data (works with gdb
    and Microsoft's) or utilize some method for interprocess communication
    on your OS. Generally speaking, those techniques are preferable to
    peering inside the compiled code, which seems like an inherently
    fragile method.

    Cheers! --M
    mlimber, Dec 6, 2005