Accessing Text file on Network computer using aspx

Sam Bab

I have one workstation which holds some text files and I want to merge these
files into one text file and want to print data from merged text file into
aspx page. The aspx is using local aspnet account which does not have access
to shared network folder name (\\computername\folder). What is the best way
to do this?

SB

Paul Glavich [MVP - ASP.NET]

You can still use the ASPNET account if you like but you must define a
static password for the account on both machines. Both machines must also
use the same pwd for this account. If the other machine (the one you have
defined the fileshare on) does not have .NET installed, you must still
define an ASPNET user and password on the machine, with access to the
directory acting as the file share.

On your web server, you can define a static password for the ASPNET account
in your machine.config file.

You can also use a totally different account, either way you must have the
same username/pwd combination on both machines. Obviously, it would be best
to only limit the user to read access to the minimum amount of information
on the other fileserver.