accessing the readonly properties of a listmenu with a user control?

Moe Sizlak

Hi There,

I am trying to use the to obtain the information from 2 listmenus, if the
user makes a selection the page is submitted and then based on the value
selected is transfererd to another page. This works ok on it's own but I
can't seem to access the actual value of the control or the option value
( <option value="6">...NT...</option>)
..
Any ideas ppl?

Moe

!--- function returns these values to screen

_ctl1_lstStates
_ctl1_lstCategorie

Public ReadOnly Property SelectedCategoriesID As String
Get
return lstCategorie.ClientID
End Get
End Property

Public ReadOnly Property SelectedStatesID As String
Get
return lstStates.ClientID
End Get
End Property

"redirect functions

'strSelectedCategories = lstCategorie.ClientID.SelectedItem.Value
'strSelectedStates = lstStates.ClientID.SelectedItem.Value

If strSelectedStates <> "0" AND strSelectedCategories ="0" Then
strFormID = strSelectedStates
SendUserToState(strFormID)
Elseif strSelectedStates = "0" AND strSelectedCategories <> "0" Then
'response.write ("categories")
'response.end
strFormID = strSelectedCategories
SendUserToCategorie(strFormID)
End If

End If
End Sub

Public Function SendUserToState(ByVal strFormID as Integer)
Select Case strFormID
Case 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9
response.redirect("browselistingsbystate.aspx?StateID=" & strFormID)
Case Else
'do jack all
End Select
End Function

Public Function SendUserToCategorie(ByVal strFormID as Integer)
Select Case strFormID
Case 6,10,8,7,11,13,9,12
response.redirect("browselistings.aspx?CategoryID=" & strFormID)
Case Else
'do jack all
End Select
End Function

size="1" color="#FFFFFF">Browse
:</font></div>

<asp:listbox id="lstCategorie" runat="server" Rows="1"
AutoPostBack="true"
DataTextField="CategoryDesc" DataValueField="CategoryID" />

size="1" color="#FFFFFF">Browse
:</font></div>

<asp:listbox id="lstStates" runat="server" Rows="1"
AutoPostBack="true"
DataTextField="Location" DataValueField="LocationID" />

Natty Gur

Hi,

If I get you right you need to use ListBox SelectedItem.Value to get
current user select value.

Public ReadOnly Property SelectedCategoriesID As String
Get
return lstCategorie.SelectedItem.Value
End Get
End Property

HTH

Natty Gur[MVP]

blog : http://weblogs.asp.net/ngur
Mobile: +972-(0)52-8888377

Moe Sizlak

Hi Natty,

The only problem is I get the error "Object reference not set to an instance
of an object. " if I change the code to:

How can I get around this error?

Moe

Public ReadOnly Property SelectedCategoriesID As String
Get
return lstCategorie.SelectedItem.Value
End Get
End Property
Public ReadOnly Property SelectedStatesID As String
Get
return lstStates.SelectedItem.Value
End Get
End Property

Moe Sizlak

Hi Natty,

The user did select an item, as soon as the form is submitted the error
occurs.

Sean