Accessing WebService indirectly

Discussion in 'ASP .Net Web Services' started by Stefan Rosi, Dec 10, 2004.

  1. Stefan Rosi

    Stefan Rosi Guest

    Hallo everybody,

    I have programmed an ASP.NET site which communicates with the database using
    a WebService.

    Anyways the client wants to prevent that asp server from communicate
    directly with the WebService, he wants to put a new computer between those
    two servers, so that it redirects the requests from the Asp server to the
    WebService ,and so the credentials can be stored in this new computer (i.e.
    the asp server will not be able to access the WebService anymore directly)

    I had two ideas to solve this problem

    1- Build a new WebService between the ASP.NET server and the original
    WebService, which has identical method and all what it does is calling the
    same method on the WebService and returning the result. This method is very
    inefficient because I have to keep the middle WebService always up-to-date
    manually.

    2- Use the WSDL.exe tool coming with the sdk to generate the source code of
    the proxy and then modifying it a little bit by adding the credentials
    ....etc. before compiling it. And I was very happy as I found that the proxy
    derives from SoapHttpClientProtocol which in order derives from
    MarshalByRefObject. So I can be sure that the actual requests will be done
    at the computer hosting this proxy (which has the right to access the
    WebService) and on the ASP.NET which uses remoting just to get a reference
    to the proxy by remoting.

    Does anybody have a (better/another) idea?

    Any suggestions will be appreciated

    Best regards

    Stefan Rosi

    Stefan Rosi, Dec 10, 2004

  2. Stefan Rosi

    Dan Rogers Guest

    Sounds like a job for an ISA server... and not a programmer

    This is often considered a 'firewall' or DMZ type requirement.

    I hope this helps

    Dan Rogers
    Microsoft Corporation
    >From: "Stefan Rosi" <Stefan.Rosie_ReplaceWithAt_gmail.com>
    >Subject: Accessing WebService indirectly
    >Date: Fri, 10 Dec 2004 02:27:22 +0100

    microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet.webservices,microsoft.public.dotnet
    framework.remoting
    phx.gbl

    microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.remoting:21119

    Dan Rogers, Dec 13, 2004