    pyserial?

    Thanks
    George T.

    George T., Feb 6, 2006

  2. George T. schreef:
    > I need to access the serial port via python on a windows machine.
    > Reading on the web, there are three solutions: pyserial, siomodule and
    > USPP. pyserial seems to be the best option since the other two are
    > tested with Windows 95 and older versions of python. Would you agree
    > with this or have I missed an option?

    I hadn't even heard of siomodule and USPP; pyserial is what I use when I
    need to read/write from/to the serial port.

    > Can anyone provide me an example of how to access the serial port with
    > pyserial?

    It's quite simple; there are a number of examples on pyserial's website.
    Here's a small quick and dirty script that reads data from a serial port
    and broadcasts it as UDP over the network to make the incoming data
    available to other computers in the office:

    import socket
    import sys

    import serial

    ser = serial.Serial('COM1', 38400, timeout=1)
    sock = socket.socket(socket.AF_INET, socket.SOCK_DGRAM)
    sock.setsockopt(socket.SOL_SOCKET, socket.SO_BROADCAST, 1)
    while True:
    msg = ser.readline()
    sock.sendto(msg, ('<broadcast>', 5000))
    sys.stdout.write(msg)

    Basically you can use the objects like other file-like objects.

    Roel Schroeven

    Roel Schroeven, Feb 6, 2006

  3. On 2006-02-06, George T. <> wrote:

    > I need to access the serial port via python on a windows machine.
    > Reading on the web, there are three solutions: pyserial, siomodule and
    > USPP.

    You can also just use win32 stuff directly (CreateFile et al).

    > pyserial seems to be the best option since the other two are
    > tested with Windows 95 and older versions of python. Would you agree
    > with this or have I missed an option?

    I've used PySerial and win32 system calls. I've never used the
    other two. Try pyserial first. If you need lower level
    control than that gives you, use win32 calls.

    http://pyserial.sourceforge.net/

    --
    Grant Edwards grante Yow! Is this "BOOZE"?
    at

    Grant Edwards, Feb 6, 2006
  4. George T.

    malv Guest

    Hi All,
    Would anybody know whether PySerial would work over an usb/serial
    adapter?
    (what about usb/parallel adapters?)
    Thx.
    malv

    malv, Feb 7, 2006
  5. malv schreef:
    > Hi All,
    > Would anybody know whether PySerial would work over an usb/serial
    > adapter?

    If the driver for the adapter creates a virtual COM-port (i.e. it shows
    up as a serial port in Windows' device manager), it works. The software
    sees no difference between a real port and a fake one.

    > (what about usb/parallel adapters?)

    Never tried it, but I guess it will work too.

    Roel Schroeven

    Roel Schroeven, Feb 7, 2006
  6. On 2006-02-07, malv <> wrote:
    > Hi All,
    > Would anybody know whether PySerial would work over an usb/serial
    > adapter?

    Yes.

    > (what about usb/parallel adapters?)

    Don't know.

    --
    Grant Edwards grante Yow! I'm an East Side
    at TYPE...

    Grant Edwards, Feb 7, 2006