Accessing WMI Service and Scanning Subnets via an Applet

DartmanX

Greetings.

I am researching the possibility of creating an applet to perform the
following task:

1. Scan a given subnet, display results in a collapsable "true"
2. Click on one of the systems found in the subnet scan and retrieve
certain information from the WMI service on that machine.
3. Output results of scan to an XML file (simple enough).

Here is the hardware setup.

All machines that will be scanned are running Windows 2000 or XP.
The people running the applet will have appropriate permissions to
access the remote WMI service
The applet will be written in Java using the 1.4.2 SDK.

I realize that one of the answers to this problem is creating something
in JNI, but my developers are not capable of creating JNI code.
Therefore, I am looking for free or commercial libraries that can
accomplish this task. I've seen a few libraries here or there, but am
searching for advice.

Jason

Roedy Green

I realize that one of the answers to this problem is creating something
in JNI, but my developers are not capable of creating JNI code.
Therefore, I am looking for free or commercial libraries that can
accomplish this task. I've seen a few libraries here or there, but am
searching for advice.

Do you have developers who can write the code in C to poll the Windows
machines? Then you can hire someone to build the JNI glue for you.
The various tools let you do standard simple things by providing a
library of JNI methods. I doubt you would find something that
esoteric in a toolbox.

If the polling is rather lazy, you might pull it off by execing a
command line utility that returns its results on the console or in a
file. You could also do it without JNI by communicating via sockets
with a C++ poller.