Accessing WMI Service and Scanning Subnets via an Applet

Discussion in 'Java' started by DartmanX, Apr 7, 2006.

  1. DartmanX

    DartmanX Guest

    Greetings.

    I am researching the possibility of creating an applet to perform the
    following task:

    1. Scan a given subnet, display results in a collapsable "true"
    2. Click on one of the systems found in the subnet scan and retrieve
    certain information from the WMI service on that machine.
    3. Output results of scan to an XML file (simple enough).

    Here is the hardware setup.

    All machines that will be scanned are running Windows 2000 or XP.
    The people running the applet will have appropriate permissions to
    access the remote WMI service
    The applet will be written in Java using the 1.4.2 SDK.

    I realize that one of the answers to this problem is creating something
    in JNI, but my developers are not capable of creating JNI code.
    Therefore, I am looking for free or commercial libraries that can
    accomplish this task. I've seen a few libraries here or there, but am
    searching for advice.

    Jason

    DartmanX, Apr 7, 2006

  2. DartmanX

    Roedy Green Guest

    On 7 Apr 2006 11:11:43 -0700, "DartmanX" <>

    >I realize that one of the answers to this problem is creating something
    >in JNI, but my developers are not capable of creating JNI code.
    >Therefore, I am looking for free or commercial libraries that can
    >accomplish this task. I've seen a few libraries here or there, but am
    >searching for advice.

    Do you have developers who can write the code in C to poll the Windows
    machines? Then you can hire someone to build the JNI glue for you.
    The various tools let you do standard simple things by providing a
    library of JNI methods. I doubt you would find something that
    esoteric in a toolbox.

    If the polling is rather lazy, you might pull it off by execing a
    command line utility that returns its results on the console or in a
    file. You could also do it without JNI by communicating via sockets
    with a C++ poller.
    --
    Canadian Mind Products, Roedy Green.

    Roedy Green, Apr 7, 2006