Accessing XML DataFiles from a Web Service

Discussion in 'ASP .Net Web Services' started by Ian, Oct 26, 2006.

  1. Ian

    Ian Guest

    Hi,

    I am trying to create a working installation from a web service that is
    actually a thin layer calling quite an involved object, a dll-type .NET
    assembly from another, class library type project.

    This object needs to access data that is stored in a number of XML files.
    The problem is that at least some of these XML files need to be easily
    available to another conventional .NET Windows Application, i.e this data has
    to be shared.

    It appears that, when I am running the webservice through the IDE on my
    development machine, the process that the DLL runs in (which I assume is the
    ASP service itself) expects the XML data files to be in C:\Program
    Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 8\Common7\IDE.

    Whereas when I intall it on a non-development machine using an MSI
    installer, it seems to require it to be in C:\Window\System32\inetsvr.

    Is there an way to tell web services like this to look for data files such
    as this in the App_Data directory of the webservice? You can do this with a
    ASP.NET Web site by using an XMLDataSource object pointing at that directory,
    but you can't use an XML DataSource with a web service because it doesnt have
    a user interface.

    For obvious reasons I dont want to do hard-coding here. Is there a way to
    configure this?

    Thanks

    Ian
    Ian, Oct 26, 2006