    --
    Regards

    Martyn Fewtrell
    Martyn Fewtrell, Jan 26, 2006

  2. Hi,

    besides that SQL Express is totally free - here's the download page for the
    access provider:

    http://msdn.microsoft.com/asp.net/downloads/providers/default.aspx

    ---------------------------------------
    Dominick Baier - DevelopMentor
    http://www.leastprivilege.com

    Dominick Baier [DevelopMentor], Jan 26, 2006

  3. Thanks for the reply the link will hopefully help.

    I appreciatte that SQL Express is totally Free and I would much rather use
    it, but my chosen host appears to be under the impression that as a Service
    Provider selling shared hosting packages he is not able (within the terms of
    the license) to provide it. Any clarification of this would be appreciatted!
    --
    Regards

    Martyn Fewtrell

    Martyn Fewtrell, Jan 26, 2006
  4. hi,

    of course i don't know any legal details - i am a developer... :)

    but sql express was specifically made for this purpose (free redist) - i
    cannot imagine that a ISP has special restrictions - but i don't know 100%
    for sure.

    ---------------------------------------

    Dominick Baier [DevelopMentor], Jan 26, 2006
  5. My understanding is exactly as yours. I presume that Microsofts view for the
    future is that SQL Express should replace Access for these types of projects.
    This will never happen if hosting companies can't provide SQL Express in a
    shared hositing environment. The benefit for Microsoft would be that all
    these smal business sites built around SQL Express may well have databases
    that grow to require the full product. As the platform is more widely
    accepted it would presumably boost overall sales of the main product.

    I do however have a great relationship with my host and I am confident that
    if they could they would (they are still chasing this up at their end).

    I'm hoping I might get a comment from Microsoft here although I appreciate
    this is now a little of track for this news group! Perhaps they could point
    me in the direction of where to get a definative answer?

    Martyn Fewtrell, Jan 26, 2006
  6. Hello Martyn,

    If you have to work with Access database in ASP.NET 2.0, you may create a
    customized provider:

    Writing A Custom Membership Provider for your ASP.NET 2.0 Web Site:
    http://www.devx.com/asp/Article/29256/0/page/3

    Hope this help,

    Luke
    Luke Zhang [MSFT], Jan 27, 2006
  7. Thanks Luke

    I have now got a working Access Data Provider up and running in my test
    environment.

    I think for the SQL Express issue i have got as close as i can to for an
    authorative answer at
    http://weblogs.asp.net/scottgu/archive/2005/10/15/427581.aspx where he states
    -

    "SQL Express is good for dedicated hosting scenarios, and for scenarios
    where you have a small number (4-10) customers on a box (where each can get
    their own instance of SQL Express).

    When you have 100-1000 customers on a box (massive shared hosting), having a
    separate instance of SQL Express for each customer doesn't scale. That is
    where/why you'd want to use SQL Server -- and carve up a separate database
    for each customer.

    Hosting prices for SQL Server have changed dramatically in the last 12
    months. Hosters can now pay a $50/month license (no upfront fees) to setup a
    SQL Server for multiple customers. For 1000 customers in a hosting scenario,
    this translates to 5 cents per customer per month in license fees -- which is
    a heck of a lot cheaper than in was before.

    Hosters are in turn passing on these savings to customers -- it is pretty
    easy now to find ASP.NET + SQL Server hosting for < $10/month (and coming
    down)."

    There is also a tool in development to easily move a SQL Express Database
    over to a full blown instance of SQL 2005

    --
    Regards

    Martyn Fewtrell

    Martyn Fewtrell, Jan 27, 2006
  8. Hi Luke,

    that's actually wrong.

    you can download the access provider that was pulled from RTM here

    Dominick Baier [DevelopMentor], Jan 27, 2006