    Many thanks in advance,
    --
    Ioannis
    Ioannis, Jun 26, 2006

  2. Ioannis wrote:

    > I am using Windows XP Home edition SP1 fully patched. Everytime I click on
    > a .pdf link, IE 6 loads the page correctly, (probably by using the Acrobat
    > Reader plugin) and displays fine. But when I quit the .pdf file, either as
    > a result of clicking on a new link or moving onto a different web
    > location, looking at TaskManager, a process "Acrobat.exe", continues being
    > loaded into memory, occupying around 12 Megabytes, subsequently slowing my
    > system down.
    >
    > If I shut it down manually from TaskManager, all is ok. Question is, is
    > there a way to have this process (Acrobat.exe) unload automatically
    > whenever I move away from a .pdf page or is it some sort of XP glitch
    > that's unavoidable to always have it loaded automatically on every visit
    > to a .pdf link?

    This behaviour is intentional. Startup time of the acrobat plugin is
    annoyingly long, so it tries to reduce it a bit (for the second and later
    usage) by staying around in memory.
    There may be an option in acrobats preferences to disable this "feature".
    But this is really a question for Adobe support and has nothing to do with
    HTML...

    --
    Benjamin Niemann
    Email: pink at odahoda dot de
    Benjamin Niemann, Jun 26, 2006

  3. Ioannis

    Ed Mullen Guest

    Ioannis wrote:
    > I am using Windows XP Home edition SP1 fully patched. Everytime I click on a
    > .pdf link, IE 6 loads the page correctly, (probably by using the Acrobat
    > Reader plugin) and displays fine. But when I quit the .pdf file, either as a
    > result of clicking on a new link or moving onto a different web location,
    > looking at TaskManager, a process "Acrobat.exe", continues being loaded into
    > memory, occupying around 12 Megabytes, subsequently slowing my system down.
    >
    > If I shut it down manually from TaskManager, all is ok. Question is, is
    > there a way to have this process (Acrobat.exe) unload automatically whenever
    > I move away from a .pdf page or is it some sort of XP glitch that's
    > unavoidable to always have it loaded automatically on every visit to a .pdf
    > link?
    >
    > Many thanks in advance,

    This was a problem with pre-version 7 of Acrobat. I don't think it does
    that anymore. Ref: http://mozilla.edmullen.net/moz_pdf.html

    --
    Ed Mullen
    http://edmullen.net
    Ed Mullen, Jun 26, 2006
  4. Gazing into my crystal ball I observed "Ioannis" <>
    writing in news:1151354289.837293@athnrd02:

    > I am using Windows XP Home edition SP1 fully patched. Everytime I
    > click on a .pdf link, IE 6 loads the page correctly, (probably by
    > using the Acrobat Reader plugin) and displays fine. But when I quit
    > the .pdf file, either as a result of clicking on a new link or moving
    > onto a different web location, looking at TaskManager, a process
    > "Acrobat.exe", continues being loaded into memory, occupying around 12
    > Megabytes, subsequently slowing my system down.
    >
    > If I shut it down manually from TaskManager, all is ok. Question is,
    > is there a way to have this process (Acrobat.exe) unload automatically
    > whenever I move away from a .pdf page or is it some sort of XP glitch
    > that's unavoidable to always have it loaded automatically on every
    > visit to a .pdf link?
    >
    > Many thanks in advance,

    I don't like Adobe, and I almost never open something in a browser
    window. I have my browsers configured to download and then I view it
    later, at my convenience.

    Adobe also has a nasty habit, as does RealPlayer and a few others, of
    always wanting to load itself on startup. I look at PDF's less than once
    every three months, why do I need something sitting in memory?

    Go over to Mike Lin's page <http://www.mlin.net/StartupMonitor.shtml> and
    get Startup Monitor, and some of the other goodies. I cannot say enough
    good things about StartUp Monitor. It prevents all sorts of nastys from
    starting up, especially those that you never knew where doing that in the
    first place.

    --
    Adrienne Boswell at Home
    Arbpen Web Site Design Services
    Adrienne Boswell, Jun 27, 2006
  5. Adrienne Boswell wrote:
    > Gazing into my crystal ball I observed "Ioannis" <>
    > writing in news:1151354289.837293@athnrd02:
    >
    >> I am using Windows XP Home edition SP1 fully patched. Everytime I
    >> click on a .pdf link, IE 6 loads the page correctly, (probably by
    >> using the Acrobat Reader plugin) and displays fine. But when I quit
    >> the .pdf file, either as a result of clicking on a new link or moving
    >> onto a different web location, looking at TaskManager, a process
    >> "Acrobat.exe", continues being loaded into memory, occupying around 12
    >> Megabytes, subsequently slowing my system down.
    >>
    >> If I shut it down manually from TaskManager, all is ok. Question is,
    >> is there a way to have this process (Acrobat.exe) unload automatically
    >> whenever I move away from a .pdf page or is it some sort of XP glitch
    >> that's unavoidable to always have it loaded automatically on every
    >> visit to a .pdf link?
    >>
    >> Many thanks in advance,

    > I don't like Adobe, and I almost never open something in a browser
    > window. I have my browsers configured to download and then I view it
    > later, at my convenience.
    >
    > Adobe also has a nasty habit, as does RealPlayer and a few others, of
    > always wanting to load itself on startup. I look at PDF's less than once
    > every three months, why do I need something sitting in memory?

    So does MS Office and a host of many other programs. A windows user
    should come accustomed to deleting shortcuts in the 'Startup' folder.
    Also 'msconfig' is your friend (if you do not feel comfortable doing a
    little registry editing)...

    As to RealPlayer and their ilk, they also have a nasty habit of becoming
    your *default* media player even if you try to configure them not to. I
    use the freeware RealAlternative and QuicktimeAlternative plugins, get
    the codec without the crap!

    --
    Take care,

    Jonathan