Acrobat.exe stays loaded after leaving .pdf pages

Ioannis

I am using Windows XP Home edition SP1 fully patched. Everytime I click on a
..pdf link, IE 6 loads the page correctly, (probably by using the Acrobat
Reader plugin) and displays fine. But when I quit the .pdf file, either as a
result of clicking on a new link or moving onto a different web location,
looking at TaskManager, a process "Acrobat.exe", continues being loaded into
memory, occupying around 12 Megabytes, subsequently slowing my system down.

If I shut it down manually from TaskManager, all is ok. Question is, is
there a way to have this process (Acrobat.exe) unload automatically whenever
I move away from a .pdf page or is it some sort of XP glitch that's
unavoidable to always have it loaded automatically on every visit to a .pdf
link?

Many thanks in advance,

Benjamin Niemann

Ioannis said:
I am using Windows XP Home edition SP1 fully patched. Everytime I click on
a .pdf link, IE 6 loads the page correctly, (probably by using the Acrobat
Reader plugin) and displays fine. But when I quit the .pdf file, either as
a result of clicking on a new link or moving onto a different web
location, looking at TaskManager, a process "Acrobat.exe", continues being
loaded into memory, occupying around 12 Megabytes, subsequently slowing my
system down.

If I shut it down manually from TaskManager, all is ok. Question is, is
there a way to have this process (Acrobat.exe) unload automatically
whenever I move away from a .pdf page or is it some sort of XP glitch
that's unavoidable to always have it loaded automatically on every visit
to a .pdf link?

This behaviour is intentional. Startup time of the acrobat plugin is
annoyingly long, so it tries to reduce it a bit (for the second and later
usage) by staying around in memory.
There may be an option in acrobats preferences to disable this "feature".
But this is really a question for Adobe support and has nothing to do with
HTML...

Ed Mullen

Ioannis said:
I am using Windows XP Home edition SP1 fully patched. Everytime I click on a
.pdf link, IE 6 loads the page correctly, (probably by using the Acrobat
Reader plugin) and displays fine. But when I quit the .pdf file, either as a
result of clicking on a new link or moving onto a different web location,
looking at TaskManager, a process "Acrobat.exe", continues being loaded into
memory, occupying around 12 Megabytes, subsequently slowing my system down.

If I shut it down manually from TaskManager, all is ok. Question is, is
there a way to have this process (Acrobat.exe) unload automatically whenever
I move away from a .pdf page or is it some sort of XP glitch that's
unavoidable to always have it loaded automatically on every visit to a .pdf
link?

Many thanks in advance,

This was a problem with pre-version 7 of Acrobat. I don't think it does
that anymore. Ref: http://mozilla.edmullen.net/moz_pdf.html

--
Ed Mullen
http://edmullen.net

Adrienne Boswell

I am using Windows XP Home edition SP1 fully patched. Everytime I
click on a .pdf link, IE 6 loads the page correctly, (probably by
using the Acrobat Reader plugin) and displays fine. But when I quit
the .pdf file, either as a result of clicking on a new link or moving
onto a different web location, looking at TaskManager, a process
"Acrobat.exe", continues being loaded into memory, occupying around 12
Megabytes, subsequently slowing my system down.

If I shut it down manually from TaskManager, all is ok. Question is,
is there a way to have this process (Acrobat.exe) unload automatically
whenever I move away from a .pdf page or is it some sort of XP glitch
that's unavoidable to always have it loaded automatically on every
visit to a .pdf link?

Many thanks in advance,

I don't like Adobe, and I almost never open something in a browser
window. I have my browsers configured to download and then I view it
later, at my convenience.

Adobe also has a nasty habit, as does RealPlayer and a few others, of
always wanting to load itself on startup. I look at PDF's less than once
every three months, why do I need something sitting in memory?

Go over to Mike Lin's page <http://www.mlin.net/StartupMonitor.shtml> and
get Startup Monitor, and some of the other goodies. I cannot say enough
good things about StartUp Monitor. It prevents all sorts of nastys from
starting up, especially those that you never knew where doing that in the
first place.

Jonathan N. Little

Adrienne said:
I don't like Adobe, and I almost never open something in a browser
window. I have my browsers configured to download and then I view it
later, at my convenience.

Adobe also has a nasty habit, as does RealPlayer and a few others, of
always wanting to load itself on startup. I look at PDF's less than once
every three months, why do I need something sitting in memory?

So does MS Office and a host of many other programs. A windows user
should come accustomed to deleting shortcuts in the 'Startup' folder.
Also 'msconfig' is your friend (if you do not feel comfortable doing a
little registry editing)...

As to RealPlayer and their ilk, they also have a nasty habit of becoming
your *default* media player even if you try to configure them not to. I
use the freeware RealAlternative and QuicktimeAlternative plugins, get
the codec without the crap!