ActionWebService deprecated?

Christopher Brown

Kent Sibilev

Hey all,
I thought I remembered seeing a comment about ActionWebService being
deprecated in favor of something else in the latest Rails Edge.
Is that true or did I dream it? What is the ongoing story for web
services in Ruby? Can anyone comment about such things as SOAP
request authentication and support for WS-Security?
Last I looked, there were no pure Ruby XML canonicalization
libraries, which kinda foils that plan.

Have a look at the wss4r project at rubyforge.org.
I haven't used it myself, so I can't comment.

Roland Schmitt

Hi,

Christopher said:

look at www.rubyforge.org/projects/wss4r for a pure-ruby WS-Security
implementation. It contains a rudiment xml canonicalizer. The problems
with the canonicalizer are more or less problems with the underlying xml
parser, REXML in this case.

I think first we need other xml parsers (perhaps libXML?) before we can
think of WS-Security.

Regards,
Roland

Christopher Brown

Roland Schmitt

Hi,

Christopher said:

i think the shortest road to XML/WS-security in ruby would be a binding
to something like xmlsec (www.aleksey.com/xmlsec).
But using native libraries for everything is perhaps not the right way.

Regards,
Roland