Active Directory access-newbie

Chris

Hi,

I am a newbie to Active Directory. I am using XP pro, I am trying to
access Active directory that is in some domain, say 'mydomain'. Now, to
access the AD, what do I need ? I believe, its

1) username
2) password
3) servername/ip

Is there anything else I will need ?

Thanks,

Chris

Please forgive me if I am speaking no-sense. I tried to browse on
internet, dint help me much..

Now, my NT is not in any domain. Its a stand-alone.

I understand that the admin of the server in which AD resides, should
give access to my NT. I dont have access to the server. So,

1) permission/trust - is it something that the admins would do on the
server ? Or is it a password kindof thing.

2) If its password kind of thing, where does it fit in my code ? Say, I
got a username and password, the code I am using right now is below.
Where will my permission to domain fit in ?

New DirectoryEntry("LDAP://" & ldapServerName, _
"username", "password", AuthenticationTypes.None)

Thanks!!

Chris

Also, If there is a link, which explains AD right from the basic, I
would really appreciate that..