active directory and asp.net error.

Jamie

I'm getting the following error exception when using the code below.

I've seen a number of people post the same problem. Many of the solutions
say to use impersonate=true in web.config, or update machine.config to
specify the username and password in the processmodel element, or to use
delegation, but they've all said you don't need to do those things if you
specify a username and password in the DirectoryEntry constructor... which
is what i'm doing.

This works fine on my local webserver, but as soon as i publish it to
another webserver it throws an exception. Does anybody have any other
suggestions? By the way, i'm using Visual Studio .NET 2003.

thanks.

Unknown error (0x80005000)
at System.DirectoryServices.DirectoryEntry.Bind(Boolean throwIfFail)
at System.DirectoryServices.DirectoryEntry.Bind()
at System.DirectoryServices.DirectoryEntry.get_AdsObject()
at System.DirectoryServices.PropertyValueCollection.PopulateList()
at System.DirectoryServices.PropertyCollection.get_Item(String propertyName)

-------------

DirectoryEntry root = new DirectoryEntry(LDAP://my_domain,
"my_domain\\some_domain_user", "password");
DirectorySearcher searcher = new DirectorySearcher(root);
searcher.Filter = "(&(objectClass=user)(sAMAccountName=some_domain_user))";
SearchResult searchResult = searcher.FindOne();
DirectoryEntry entry = searchResult.GetDirectoryEntry();
object o = entry.Properties["givenname"].Value; // exeception occurs here
/>

MSFT

Hi Jamie,

I have replied same question in microsoft.public.dotnet.aspnet.security,
please refer to that thread.

Thanks,

Luke
Microsoft Online Support