Active HDL simulator

Discussion in 'VHDL' started by rickman, Jun 5, 2008.

  1. rickman

    rickman Guest

    I am using the Lattice tools which include the Active HDL simulator.
    I understand a lot of things about VHDL and FPGAs and all sorts of
    electronics. But I can stumble over very trivial things in a tool.

    Right now I have a project set up and have simulated it and produced
    bit files which load into the device and run (more or less). But it
    seems that every time I exit the simulator and re-enter, it forgets
    where the source files are. When I add files to a project it seems to
    want to make a copy in the ../work/src directory. Then any changes I
    make to the originals have to be copied to this directory. Obviously
    this is a PITA.

    I figured out that I can use the original location for the files by
    unselecting a check box that says (make local copy). If I do that and
    re-open the tool, it shows no source files. It seems to be looking in
    the ../work/src directory.

    Does anyone out there use the Lattice tools with Active HDL? This is
    the $900 version of ispLever and the simulator is the version that
    comes with the Lattice package.

    I was getting some good support from an FAE, but I haven't heard from
    him in a day or so and I need to figure this out.

    I really get tired of fighting the tools. I much prefer to get work
    done.

    Rick

    rickman, Jun 5, 2008

  2. rickman wrote:
    > I am using the Lattice tools which include the Active HDL simulator.
    > I understand a lot of things about VHDL and FPGAs and all sorts of
    > electronics. But I can stumble over very trivial things in a tool.
    >
    > Right now I have a project set up and have simulated it and produced
    > bit files which load into the device and run (more or less). But it
    > seems that every time I exit the simulator and re-enter, it forgets
    > where the source files are. When I add files to a project it seems to
    > want to make a copy in the ../work/src directory. Then any changes I
    > make to the originals have to be copied to this directory. Obviously
    > this is a PITA.
    >
    > I figured out that I can use the original location for the files by
    > unselecting a check box that says (make local copy). If I do that and
    > re-open the tool, it shows no source files. It seems to be looking in
    > the ../work/src directory.
    >
    > Does anyone out there use the Lattice tools with Active HDL? This is
    > the $900 version of ispLever and the simulator is the version that
    > comes with the Lattice package.
    >
    > I was getting some good support from an FAE, but I haven't heard from
    > him in a day or so and I need to figure this out.
    >
    > I really get tired of fighting the tools. I much prefer to get work
    > done.
    >
    > Rick

    I've never understood why tools want to make local copies of the source.
    Maybe some people desire this, but I don't know why anybody would want
    multiple copies of the source floating around. I also hate tools that
    don't remember where I'm working. Microsoft Word is always certain that
    I'll want to save documents in "My Documents", though I have never once
    used that folder. -Kevin

    Kevin Neilson, Jun 5, 2008

  3. rickman wrote:

    > Does anyone out there use the Lattice tools with Active HDL? This is
    > the $900 version of ispLever and the simulator is the version that
    > comes with the Lattice package.

    Consider using the command-line interface if there is one.
    I use my editor, svn and scripts to define projects.

    -- Mike Treseler

    Mike Treseler, Aug 13, 2008