Active State 64-bit and Win32 Modules

pgodfrin

Greetings,
Does anyone know if the Win32 modules for ActiveState Perl 64 bit are
compatible with Windows Server 2008?
phil

Bart Lateur

pgodfrin said:
Does anyone know if the Win32 modules for ActiveState Perl 64 bit are
compatible with Windows Server 2008?

I don't know anything about ActivePerl 64 bit, I'm just making use of my
common sense.

I am pretty sure that you'll need 64 bit versions for your XS modules,
and not 32 bit versions. Don't worry, PPM will know to do the right
version.

And Windows 2008 Server is just Windows. There's no incompatibility to
be expected because of the Windows version.

If you need to compile your own modules, here's a usenet thread on what
you best use as a compiler:

http://groups.google.com/group/perl...ad/0e36ff88a16106c3/ced61e938025142d?lnk=raot

pgodfrin

I don't know anything about ActivePerl 64 bit, I'm just making use of my
common sense.

I am pretty sure that you'll need 64 bit versions for your XS modules,
and not 32 bit versions. Don't worry, PPM will know to do the right
version.

And Windows 2008 Server is just Windows. There's no incompatibility to
be expected because of the Windows version.

If you need to compile your own modules, here's a usenet thread on what
you best use as a compiler:

http://groups.google.com/group/perl.beginners/browse_thread/thread/0e...

OK - it looks like there are Win32 modules (Win32:Service,
Win32::EventLog, etc) installed as part of the 64-bit package. I'm
wondering if they still function as expected in Server 2008 64-bit...

(what are XS modules?)

phil

sisyphus

OK - it looks like there are Win32 modules (Win32:Service,
Win32::EventLog, etc) installed as part of the 64-bit package. I'm
wondering if they still function as expected in Server 2008 64-bit...

Yes, they should function the same.
(what are XS modules?)

The source of an XS module contains an XS file, which contains code
that needs to be compiled. You'll therefore need a C compiler to build
and install such modules.
OTOH, pure perl modules don't contain any code that needs to be
compiled. One can install them even if one doesn't have a C compiler.

Cheers,
Rob

Bart Lateur

pgodfrin said:
(what are XS modules?)

Modules that are implemented as a DLL, with a bootstrap/interface layer
in Perl.

"XS" (pronounced excess; yes, it's a pun) is system of macros to write
the C interface to Perl portably.

pgodfrin

Modules that are implemented as a DLL, with a bootstrap/interface layer
in Perl.

"XS" (pronounced excess; yes, it's a pun) is system of macros to write
the C interface to Perl portably.

kewl...thanx!
pg

Steve C

Bart said:
Modules that are implemented as a DLL, with a bootstrap/interface layer
in Perl.

"XS" (pronounced excess; yes, it's a pun) is system of macros to write
the C interface to Perl portably.

When I'm behind one of those giant BMW SUVs I note that the "X5"
looks like "XS".