    Does anyone know if the Win32 modules for ActiveState Perl 64 bit are
    compatible with Windows Server 2008?
    phil
    pgodfrin, Sep 22, 2009

  2. pgodfrin

    Bart Lateur Guest

    pgodfrin wrote:

    >Does anyone know if the Win32 modules for ActiveState Perl 64 bit are
    >compatible with Windows Server 2008?

    I don't know anything about ActivePerl 64 bit, I'm just making use of my
    common sense.

    I am pretty sure that you'll need 64 bit versions for your XS modules,
    and not 32 bit versions. Don't worry, PPM will know to do the right
    version.

    And Windows 2008 Server is just Windows. There's no incompatibility to
    be expected because of the Windows version.

    If you need to compile your own modules, here's a usenet thread on what
    you best use as a compiler:

    http://groups.google.com/group/perl...ad/0e36ff88a16106c3/ced61e938025142d?lnk=raot

    --
    Bart.
    Bart Lateur, Sep 22, 2009

  3. pgodfrin

    pgodfrin Guest

    On Sep 22, 11:42 am, Bart Lateur <> wrote:
    > pgodfrin wrote:
    > >Does anyone know if the Win32 modules for ActiveState Perl 64 bit are
    > >compatible with Windows Server 2008?

    > I don't know anything about ActivePerl 64 bit, I'm just making use of my
    > common sense.
    >
    > I am pretty sure that you'll need 64 bit versions for your XS modules,
    > and not 32 bit versions. Don't worry, PPM will know to do the right
    > version.
    >
    > And Windows 2008 Server is just Windows. There's no incompatibility to
    > be expected because of the Windows version.
    >
    > If you need to compile your own modules, here's a usenet thread on what
    > you best use as a compiler:
    >
    > http://groups.google.com/group/perl.beginners/browse_thread/thread/0e...
    >
    > --
    >         Bart.

    OK - it looks like there are Win32 modules (Win32:Service,
    Win32::EventLog, etc) installed as part of the 64-bit package. I'm
    wondering if they still function as expected in Server 2008 64-bit...

    (what are XS modules?)

    phil
    pgodfrin, Sep 22, 2009
  4. pgodfrin

    sisyphus Guest

    On Sep 23, 3:01 am, pgodfrin <> wrote:

    > OK - it looks like there are Win32 modules (Win32:Service,
    > Win32::EventLog, etc) installed as part of the 64-bit package. I'm
    > wondering if they still function as expected in Server 2008 64-bit...

    Yes, they should function the same.

    > (what are XS modules?)

    The source of an XS module contains an XS file, which contains code
    that needs to be compiled. You'll therefore need a C compiler to build
    and install such modules.
    OTOH, pure perl modules don't contain any code that needs to be
    compiled. One can install them even if one doesn't have a C compiler.

    Cheers,
    Rob
    sisyphus, Sep 23, 2009
  5. pgodfrin

    Bart Lateur Guest

    pgodfrin wrote:

    >(what are XS modules?)

    Modules that are implemented as a DLL, with a bootstrap/interface layer
    in Perl.

    "XS" (pronounced excess; yes, it's a pun) is system of macros to write
    the C interface to Perl portably.

    --
    Bart.
    Bart Lateur, Sep 23, 2009
  6. pgodfrin

    pgodfrin Guest

    On Sep 23, 1:52 am, Bart Lateur <> wrote:
    > pgodfrin wrote:
    > >(what are XS modules?)

    > Modules that are implemented as a DLL, with a bootstrap/interface layer
    > in Perl.
    >
    > "XS" (pronounced excess; yes, it's a pun) is system of macros to write
    > the C interface to Perl portably.
    >
    > --
    >         Bart.

    kewl...thanx!
    pg
    pgodfrin, Sep 23, 2009
  7. pgodfrin

    Steve C Guest

    Bart Lateur wrote:
    > pgodfrin wrote:
    >
    >> (what are XS modules?)

    > Modules that are implemented as a DLL, with a bootstrap/interface layer
    > in Perl.
    >
    > "XS" (pronounced excess; yes, it's a pun) is system of macros to write
    > the C interface to Perl portably.

    When I'm behind one of those giant BMW SUVs I note that the "X5"
    looks like "XS".
    Steve C, Sep 23, 2009