Active X Component can run Power users group but not in users grou

Discussion in 'ASP General' started by Wilmer Hernandez, Aug 15, 2007.

  1. An ActiveX component created using ATL under Visual Studio 2003, and it is
    used in a ASP, runs perfectly under administrator or power users group,
    however this same object does not run under the Users groups.

    I see this problem happen in Internet Explorer 6 and 7 under windows XP.

    Under the Users group the component fails when it tries to call for the
    first time a method in that component then the JavaScript throws the
    following exception:

    message = "Object doesn't support this property or method"
    number = -2146827850

    I’ve follow a trial and error approach by changing privileges to the Users
    group and to the component dll several windows components such as “Component
    Services" , or to the Interfaces in ole viewer, permissions to directories,
    lower IE security settings in the different zones for ActiveX components
    without much success.

    I was wondering if anybody have run into this issue before and know what
    privileges I will need to change in the users group for this ActiveX
    component to run? Is this a possibility?

    If this is the right forun to place this question, my apologies.

    Thanks

    Wilmer Hernandez, Aug 15, 2007

  2. "Wilmer Hernandez" <Wilmer > wrote in
    message news:...
    > An ActiveX component created using ATL under Visual Studio 2003, and it is
    > used in a ASP, runs perfectly under administrator or power users group,
    > however this same object does not run under the Users groups.
    >
    > I see this problem happen in Internet Explorer 6 and 7 under windows XP.
    >
    > Under the Users group the component fails when it tries to call for the
    > first time a method in that component then the JavaScript throws the
    > following exception:
    >
    > message = "Object doesn't support this property or method"
    > number = -2146827850
    >
    > I've follow a trial and error approach by changing privileges to the Users
    > group and to the component dll several windows components such as

    "Component
    > Services" , or to the Interfaces in ole viewer, permissions to

    directories,
    > lower IE security settings in the different zones for ActiveX components
    > without much success.
    >
    > I was wondering if anybody have run into this issue before and know what
    > privileges I will need to change in the users group for this ActiveX
    > component to run? Is this a possibility?
    >
    > If this is the right forun to place this question, my apologies.

    This is a browser problem so this not the best place for the question.

    However I'm not sure this is a permissions problem. Its an unusual error to
    receive for a permissions style problem. Does the problem happen with all
    mehods of the object or just one of them? Is the object being sucessfully
    created? Is it safe-for-scripting, if so has it been registered as such or
    implemented the appropriate interfaces?

    First thing you should do is compare the settings for internet explorer for
    the standard user with the admin user. Does the site you are visiting
    appear in the same zone. Are the advanced settings and the zone setttings
    etc the same?

    --
    Anthony Jones - MVP ASP/ASP.NET

    Anthony Jones, Aug 15, 2007

  3. Re: Active X Component can run Power users group but not in users

    > This is a browser problem so this not the best place for the question.
    >
    > However I'm not sure this is a permissions problem. Its an unusual error to
    > receive for a permissions style problem. Does the problem happen with all
    > mehods of the object or just one of them? Is the object being sucessfully
    > created? Is it safe-for-scripting, if so has it been registered as such or
    > implemented the appropriate interfaces?
    >
    > First thing you should do is compare the settings for internet explorer for
    > the standard user with the admin user. Does the site you are visiting
    > appear in the same zone. Are the advanced settings and the zone setttings
    > etc the same?
    >

    > --
    > Anthony Jones - MVP ASP/ASP.NET

    Thanks Anthony for your response I really appreciated.

    The Object seems to be created without a problem, however since the
    Initialise method is the first method we need to use to start up the object,
    I have not been able to execute any of the other method since the initialize
    method is required for the component to work.

    The Object is not safe-for-scripting; however this would not be an issue if
    the "Initialize and script ActiveX controls not marked as safe for scripting"
    security setting is enabled. or would it?

    I have compare the setting in for both groups in IE and there no difference
    that I can notice. The site that contains the dcom object is in the trusted
    sites zone for both the Admin and Users group.

    Do you know if the Interserv.asp.components is the best place to post this
    question?

    Cheers,

    Wilmer Hernandez, Aug 15, 2007
  4. Re: Active X Component can run Power users group but not in users

    "Wilmer Hernandez" <> wrote in
    message news:...

    > > This is a browser problem so this not the best place for the question.
    > >
    > > However I'm not sure this is a permissions problem. Its an unusual

    error to
    > > receive for a permissions style problem. Does the problem happen with

    all
    > > mehods of the object or just one of them? Is the object being

    sucessfully
    > > created? Is it safe-for-scripting, if so has it been registered as such

    or
    > > implemented the appropriate interfaces?
    > >
    > > First thing you should do is compare the settings for internet explorer

    for
    > > the standard user with the admin user. Does the site you are visiting
    > > appear in the same zone. Are the advanced settings and the zone

    setttings
    > > etc the same?
    > >

    > > --
    > > Anthony Jones - MVP ASP/ASP.NET
    > >

    > Thanks Anthony for your response I really appreciated.
    >
    > The Object seems to be created without a problem, however since the
    > Initialise method is the first method we need to use to start up the

    object,
    > I have not been able to execute any of the other method since the

    initialize
    > method is required for the component to work.
    >
    > The Object is not safe-for-scripting; however this would not be an issue

    if
    > the "Initialize and script ActiveX controls not marked as safe for

    scripting"
    > security setting is enabled. or would it?
    >
    > I have compare the setting in for both groups in IE and there no

    difference
    > that I can notice. The site that contains the dcom object is in the

    trusted
    > sites zone for both the Admin and Users group.

    Have you reviewed the resources and components that the initialise method
    relies on?

    Even if calling another method may fail since initialise hasn't been called
    it would help in diagnosis to know whether this error is unique to
    initialise and yet other methods at least attempt to run albeit failing due
    to a lack of initialise call.

    Have you tried instancing and using the component in a VBScript file?

    > Do you know if the Interserv.asp.components is the best place to post this
    > question?

    Technically the best place for this question is inetexplorer.scripting but
    that group isn't all that busy these days.

    Anthony Jones, Aug 15, 2007
  5. Re: Active X Component can run Power users group but not in users

    "Anthony Jones" wrote:

    > "Wilmer Hernandez" <> wrote in
    > message news:...
    > >
    > > > This is a browser problem so this not the best place for the question.
    > > >
    > > > However I'm not sure this is a permissions problem. Its an unusual

    > error to
    > > > receive for a permissions style problem. Does the problem happen with

    > all
    > > > mehods of the object or just one of them? Is the object being

    > sucessfully
    > > > created? Is it safe-for-scripting, if so has it been registered as such

    > or
    > > > implemented the appropriate interfaces?
    > > >
    > > > First thing you should do is compare the settings for internet explorer

    > for
    > > > the standard user with the admin user. Does the site you are visiting
    > > > appear in the same zone. Are the advanced settings and the zone

    > setttings
    > > > etc the same?
    > > >

    > > > --
    > > > Anthony Jones - MVP ASP/ASP.NET
    > > >

    > > Thanks Anthony for your response I really appreciated.
    > >
    > > The Object seems to be created without a problem, however since the
    > > Initialise method is the first method we need to use to start up the

    > object,
    > > I have not been able to execute any of the other method since the

    > initialize
    > > method is required for the component to work.
    > >
    > > The Object is not safe-for-scripting; however this would not be an issue

    > if
    > > the "Initialize and script ActiveX controls not marked as safe for

    > scripting"
    > > security setting is enabled. or would it?
    > >
    > > I have compare the setting in for both groups in IE and there no

    > difference
    > > that I can notice. The site that contains the dcom object is in the

    > trusted
    > > sites zone for both the Admin and Users group.
    > >

    > Have you reviewed the resources and components that the initialise method
    > relies on?
    >
    > Even if calling another method may fail since initialise hasn't been called
    > it would help in diagnosis to know whether this error is unique to
    > initialise and yet other methods at least attempt to run albeit failing due
    > to a lack of initialise call.
    >
    > Have you tried instancing and using the component in a VBScript file?
    >

    > > Do you know if the Interserv.asp.components is the best place to post this
    > > question?
    > >

    > Technically the best place for this question is inetexplorer.scripting but
    > that group isn't all that busy these days.
    >

    > > Cheers,

    Anthony,

    I've tested the ActiveX component trying to call any of the other method in
    the component and the result were the same "Oject does't Support this
    property or Method" message.

    I'll try to initialized it in VBScript and let you know of the restults.

    I'll try and post this message in the inetexplorer.scripting forum as well.

    Thanks,

    Wilmer Hernandez, Aug 20, 2007