ActiveDirectoryMembershipProvider Schema Mappings Not Found

jfkrueger

I am trying to enable password retrieval using the AD Membership
Provider with Windows Server 2003 as my AD machine. I have followed
the examples out there and have been able to update the AD schema with
the 5 new attributes and add them to the User class. However, when
trying to run the website I get errors that the following three
attributes are not part of the user class, but they really are. I have
had this problem on 2 seperate machines. The strange thing is that it
does not give me the error on the other 2 attributes that I have added
(passwordQuestion and passwordAnswer).

attributeMapFailedPasswordAnswerCount="badPasswordCount"
attributeMapFailedPasswordAnswerTime="badPasswordTime"
attributeMapFailedPasswordAnswerLockoutTime="badPasswordLockout"

I read somewhere that the ActiveDirectoryMembershipProvider hard-codes
the schema, which would make it pretty much useless to anyone not using
the standard schema. I cannot believe this though because the example
from MSDN on configuring password retrieval instructs you to add
attributes and then reference them in the web.config file, so I don't
really buy this explanation of the problem.

Can anyone help me to shed some light on this issue, it is driving me
mad!

jfkrueger

OK, I think I have it figured out. It appears that VS 2005 will look
at the AD schema on initial load and never look again, so if you add
schema elements while VS 2005 is open, you need to close it and open it
again. You should then be able to see the new schema attributes.