activestate perl dev kit compile error for .net

Discussion in 'Perl Misc' started by Warren Porter, Jan 6, 2004.

  1. the appendix to the documentation for the .net part of perl dev kit
    gives an example using windows forms:

    package HelloWorldForm;
    use strict;
    use PerlNET qw(with AUTOCALL);

    use namespace "System";
    use namespace "System.Windows.Forms";
    use namespace "System.Drawing";

    =for interface
    [extends: Form]
    [STAThread]
    static void Main();
    private field TextBox textBox1; ####----- the offending line
    private void button1_Click(any sender, EventArgs evArgs);
    =cut

    .... more stuff chopped out...

    when I try this on my pc I get a compile error viz:

    C:\Temp\pn>plc window.pl
    PerlNET 5.3.0 build 530
    Copyright (C) 1998-2003 ActiveState Corp. All rights reserved.
    ActiveState is a division of Sophos Plc.
    System.ApplicationException: Can't locate type TextBox
    at PerlRuntime.Interpreter.GetType(Int32 x, String klass)
    at PerlRuntime.Interpreter.typeof(Int32 x, Int32 klass_, Int32& e,
    Int32& rt)
    System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance
    of an object.

    Is the docmentation wrong? what is the meaning of the error? How can I
    get it to compile?

    Warren Porter, Jan 6, 2004