ActiveState problem using IPC::Open3 with IO::Select

Discussion in 'Perl Misc' started by J. Romano, Feb 10, 2004.

  1. J. Romano

    J. Romano Guest

    Dear Perl Community,

    I am interested in using the IPC::Open2 and IPC::Open3 modules. From
    reading the documentation I know that a potential problem is that a
    program I am talking to may not flush its output, possibly causing a
    deadlock. Therefore, I would like to check to see if input is waiting
    before reading from the process, by following the advice mentioned in
    IPC::Open3's perldoc:

    If you try to read from the child's stdout writer and their stderr
    writer, you'll have problems with blocking, which means you'll want
    use select() or the IO::Select, which means you'd best use
    sysread()
    instead of readline() for normal stuff.

    So I wrote a program which uses IO::Select to check for input waiting
    to be read, and used sysread() to read its input, one character at a
    time. Here is a short program that does just that:

    #!/usr/bin/perl -w

    use strict;
    use IPC::Open3;
    use IO::Select;
    $| = 1; # autoflush STDOUT

    # Declare filehandles and command to use:
    my ($w, $r, $e);
    my $cmd = 'perl -ne "$| = 1; print uc($_)"';

    # Open the process and set the selector:
    my $pid = open3($w, $r, $e, $cmd);
    my $selector = IO::Select->new($r);

    while (<>)
    {
    print $w $_; # send line to process

    sleep 1; # allow some time for request to process

    # print out output from process, if any exists:
    while ($selector->can_read(0))
    {
    my $char;
    sysread($r, $char, 1);
    print $char;
    __END__

    A quick note: The program that is spawned which I communicate with is
    specified near the top of the script in the line:

    my $cmd = 'perl -ne "$| = 1; print uc($_)"';

    This is basically a program that does nothing but print out a copy of
    its input in capital letters. Also note that $| (the autoflush
    variable) is set to non-zero (ensuring that the output is flushed
    frequently).

    Back to the problem: This short script works perfect on the two UNIX
    machines I tested it on, but it doesn't work on the two versions of
    ActiveState ActivePerl I tried it on. When I ran this script using
    ActivePerl, it behaved as though the inner while loop did not exist.

    For anyone who is interested, "perl -v" on one of the machines printed
    the following information:

    Binary build 805 provided by ActiveState Corp.
    http://www.ActiveState.com
    Built 18:08:02 Feb 4 2003

    What's more is, when I replaced the inner while loop with the line:

    print scalar <$r>;

    the program worked just fine. This doesn't help, however, because I
    want to be able to check to see if there is any data waiting to be
    read (using IO::Select) before I try reading, otherwise I might cause
    a deadlock.

    I also tried the same thing with IPC::Open2, and I got the same
    situation: it worked perfectly on UNIX, but not on ActivePerl.

    I seached the newsgroups for any mention of this problem with
    ActivePerl, but nothing turned up.

    So am I doing anything wrong? Am I missing something? Do other
    ActivePerl users have the same problem? And if so, is it a bug in
    ActivePerl?

    Thanks in advance for any responses,

    Jean-Luc
    J. Romano, Feb 10, 2004