ActiveState Python Together with "Regular" Python) ((DLE)

W. eWatson

I installed "Python" 2.5 a few months ago with IDLE, and decided I'd like to
try windowpy from ActiveState. Is having both of these installed going to
cause me trouble?
--
W. eWatson

Web Page: <www.speckledwithstars.net/>

John Machin

I installed "Python" 2.5 a few months ago with IDLE, and decided I'd like to
try windowpy from ActiveState. Is having both of these installed going to
cause me trouble?

What is "windowpy from ActiveState"? If you mean you wanted to try the
PythonWin IDE instead of IDLE, all you needed to do was go to
http://sourceforge.net/projects/pywin32/ hit the big download button
and make sure you get the 2.5 version (it's the default atm) and
install it.

W. eWatson

John said:
What is "windowpy from ActiveState"? If you mean you wanted to try the
PythonWin IDE instead of IDLE, all you needed to do was go to
http://sourceforge.net/projects/pywin32/ hit the big download button
and make sure you get the 2.5 version (it's the default atm) and
install it.
Yes, I want to try the PythonWin IDE instead of IDLE. "(DLE" was a typo.

Is it possible to just disable the vanilla (IDLE) version? I may want to
switch between the two. Most users of the program I'm about to modify use
the vanilla version. At some point, I may want to go back to it to verify
that in their world all is OK.

--
W. eWatson

Web Page: <www.speckledwithstars.net/>

John Machin

Yes, I want to try the PythonWin IDE instead of IDLE. "(DLE" was a typo.

Is it possible to just disable the vanilla (IDLE) version? I may want to
switch between the two. Most users of the program I'm about to modify use
the vanilla version. At some point, I may want to go back to it to verify
that in their world all is OK.

I'll try again. All you need is (a) the official distribution of
Python 2.5 for Windows from http://www.python.org (b) the pywin32
package from the URL I gave you. Install both. Click on Start / All
Programs/ Python 2.5 and will find *BOTH* IDLE and PythonWin. You and/
or your users can use IDLE or PythonWin, only one copy of Python, no
conflicts. Why do you think you need to "disable" IDLE? Just don't use
it.

W. eWatson

John said:
I'll try again. All you need is (a) the official distribution of
Python 2.5 for Windows from http://www.python.org (b) the pywin32
package from the URL I gave you. Install both. Click on Start / All
Programs/ Python 2.5 and will find *BOTH* IDLE and PythonWin. You and/
or your users can use IDLE or PythonWin, only one copy of Python, no
conflicts. Why do you think you need to "disable" IDLE? Just don't use
it.
Once upon a time, six months ago, I asked a similar question and the answer
was more complex. I decided to put this off until I truly needed it.

Even better than Start, for me, is that I can choose PythonWin or IDLE from
the right-click menu which I want. I do see a choice there of Open With->
Python. I can see it executed properly, but which 2.5 did it use?

--
W. eWatson

Web Page: <www.speckledwithstars.net/>

Steve Holden

W. eWatson said:
Once upon a time, six months ago, I asked a similar question and the
answer was more complex. I decided to put this off until I truly needed it.

Even better than Start, for me, is that I can choose PythonWin or IDLE
from the right-click menu which I want. I do see a choice there of Open
With-> Python. I can see it executed properly, but which 2.5 did it use?
Both IDLE and PythonWin use the same interpreter - neither of them carry
their own, and there's only one Python 2.5 available on your system.

regards
Steve