ActiveX component cannot create object

David Jameson

I just moved to a new machine, now running XP. I have some MS Access code
that invokes PerlScript. However, whenever I try to run it, I get the error
message

Runtime error 429
ActiveX component cannot create object

I've looked around the web and seen this generic error which appears
whenever ANY activeX component cannot be instantiated but I have not been
able to find how to solve this for ActivePerl.

I did try manually registering every DLL/OCX that I could find in the Perl
folders but that didn't help.

Does anyone know how to fix this problem with ActivePerl? ActiveState has
not replied to my email messages for support.

Thanks,
David Jameson

--

______________________
Dr. David H. Jameson

Three quarters of the mail you receive on the internet
is spam, and that's on a good day!

Stop it all with ChoiceMail Enterprise
http://www.digiportal.com

David Jameson

From some experiments I have performed, it appears that this problem is due
to MISSING registry entries.
I've managed to put a few of the appropriate entries back in (by looking at
my older machine where everything is working) and have gotten past the
original error message (ActiveX component cannot create object) to a new
message "The server module cannot be found"

Clearly this means that the classID was now found but there's still
something missing that's causing it to not be able to invoke PerlSE.DLL
properly.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

James Willmore

From some experiments I have performed, it appears that this problem
is due to MISSING registry entries.
I've managed to put a few of the appropriate entries back in (by
looking at my older machine where everything is working) and have
gotten past the original error message (ActiveX component cannot
create object) to a new message "The server module cannot be found"

Clearly this means that the classID was now found but there's still
something missing that's causing it to not be able to invoke
PerlSE.DLL properly.

Any ideas?
<snip - because WHOLE thread doesn't need to be re-posted>

Visit ActiveState's web site. There is a knowledge base there.

I thinking you *are* using the ActiveState build of Perl (you never
mentioned in either post) :)

HTH

--
Jim

for more information.

a fortune quote ...
Grandpa Charnock's Law: You never really learn to swear until
you learn to drive.