ActiveX component cannot create object

Discussion in 'Perl Misc' started by David Jameson, Nov 23, 2003.

  1. I just moved to a new machine, now running XP. I have some MS Access code
    that invokes PerlScript. However, whenever I try to run it, I get the error
    message

    Runtime error 429
    ActiveX component cannot create object

    I've looked around the web and seen this generic error which appears
    whenever ANY activeX component cannot be instantiated but I have not been
    able to find how to solve this for ActivePerl.

    I did try manually registering every DLL/OCX that I could find in the Perl
    folders but that didn't help.

    Does anyone know how to fix this problem with ActivePerl? ActiveState has
    not replied to my email messages for support.

    Thanks,
    David Jameson

    --

    ______________________
    Dr. David H. Jameson

    Three quarters of the mail you receive on the internet
    is spam, and that's on a good day!

    Stop it all with ChoiceMail Enterprise
    http://www.digiportal.com

    David Jameson, Nov 23, 2003

  2. From some experiments I have performed, it appears that this problem is due
    to MISSING registry entries.
    I've managed to put a few of the appropriate entries back in (by looking at
    my older machine where everything is working) and have gotten past the
    original error message (ActiveX component cannot create object) to a new
    message "The server module cannot be found"

    Clearly this means that the classID was now found but there's still
    something missing that's causing it to not be able to invoke PerlSE.DLL
    properly.

    Any ideas?

    Thanks,

    David Jameson, Nov 25, 2003

  3. On Tue, 25 Nov 2003 03:40:32 GMT
    "David Jameson" <> wrote:
    > From some experiments I have performed, it appears that this problem
    > is due to MISSING registry entries.
    > I've managed to put a few of the appropriate entries back in (by
    > looking at my older machine where everything is working) and have
    > gotten past the original error message (ActiveX component cannot
    > create object) to a new message "The server module cannot be found"
    >
    > Clearly this means that the classID was now found but there's still
    > something missing that's causing it to not be able to invoke
    > PerlSE.DLL properly.
    >
    > Any ideas?

    <snip - because WHOLE thread doesn't need to be re-posted>

    Visit ActiveState's web site. There is a knowledge base there.

    I thinking you *are* using the ActiveState build of Perl (you never
    mentioned in either post) :)

    HTH

    --
    Jim

    for more information.

    a fortune quote ...
    Grandpa Charnock's Law: You never really learn to swear until
    you learn to drive.

    James Willmore, Nov 26, 2003