ActiveX control question

Discussion in 'ASP General' started by fniles, Nov 15, 2005.

  1. fniles

    fniles Guest

    I have an ActiveX control in my ASP page that has not been signed yet, so
    currently just for testing I set the Security for Intranet to "Low".
    When I run the ASP page on my machine (the IIS is in my machine), I have no
    problem, except the page prompted me with "An ActiveX control on this page
    might be unsafe to interact with other parts of the page. Do you want to
    allow this interaction?"
    But, when I run the ASP page on another machine (even though the other
    machine is also a development machine that already has the ActiveX control
    and I set the Security for Intranet to "Low"), it did not prompt me the
    above message, and I got an error when accesing any method of the AX control
    (e.g Object doesn't support this property or method 'myAXControl.method').

    Is this because I have to create a CAB file and mark the AX control as safe
    for scripting ?
    To create a CAB file for this AX control, do I need to create my own VB AX
    Control project that contains this control and then create a cab file for
    this VB project ?

    Thanks a lot.

    fniles, Nov 15, 2005

  2. fniles

    AlanM Guest

    "fniles" <> wrote in message
    >I have an ActiveX control in my ASP page that has not been signed yet, so
    >currently just for testing I set the Security for Intranet to "Low".
    > When I run the ASP page on my machine (the IIS is in my machine), I have
    > no problem, except the page prompted me with "An ActiveX control on this
    > page might be unsafe to interact with other parts of the page. Do you want
    > to allow this interaction?"

    OK I'm no expert on this but from my own experiences ill tell you what I
    know

    when you build a control on a machine it is installed on that machine(don't
    ask me where or how) so that you can run it on that machine.

    Later when you say install it on the server it will be available from all
    machines.

    so if it is only working on your machine and not any others in the network I
    would say that it is using the test machines version and not the version on
    the server.

    try downloading the LPKTool and signing it if you need to test it on the
    server.

    if you find that the same version is installed on the server and still does
    not run, check any data connections in the control are viable from other
    machines on the network

    when you test it, it is useing the devlopment

    AlanM, Nov 16, 2005