ActiveX Control within an ASP app delivered to the client (wrong group?)

Stephanie Stowe

I think I have asked this before. But I cannot see it on Google. I cannot
wrap m,y brain around this.

There is an ASP page. It refers to an ActiveX control which is delivered to
the client.

<OBJECT ID="CRViewer"
CLASSID="CLSID:C4847596-972C-11D0-9567-00A0C9273C2A"
WIDTH=100% HEIGHT=95%
codebase="ClientBin/activexviewer.cab#Version=8,5,0,217" VIEWASTEXT>
<PARAM NAME="EnableRefreshButton" VALUE=0>
<PARAM NAME="EnableGroupTree" VALUE=1>
<PARAM NAME="DisplayGroupTree" VALUE=1>
<PARAM NAME="EnablePrintButton" VALUE=1>
<PARAM NAME="EnableExportButton" VALUE=1>
<PARAM NAME="EnableDrillDown" VALUE=1>
<PARAM NAME="EnableSearchControl" VALUE=1>
<PARAM NAME="EnableAnimationControl" VALUE=1>
<PARAM NAME="EnableZoomControl" VALUE=1>
</OBJECT>

So there is a CAB file called ActiveXViewer which contains CRViewer.dll. IE
somehow knows to find the necessary component(s) and if not found download
from the server. How does it do this? Look to see if the specified classid
is registered? If the cab is updated, how does the new package get down to
the client?

I have a total mind block when it comes to ActiveX controls on the client in
a web app.

Thanks.

Tom Kaminski [MVP]

Stephanie Stowe said:
[...]

codebase tells IE where to get the component.
Look to see if the specified classid is registered?
Yep.

If the cab is updated, how does the new package get down to
the client?

That's where Version=8,5,0,217 comes in. If it sees a newer version, IE
gets it.

Stephanie Stowe

Tom Kaminski said:
codebase tells IE where to get the component.

That's where Version=8,5,0,217 comes in. If it sees a newer version, IE
gets it.

Sweet. Thanks.