ActiveX Control within an ASP app delivered to the client (wrong group?)

Discussion in 'ASP General' started by Stephanie Stowe, Nov 10, 2004.

  1. I think I have asked this before. But I cannot see it on Google. I cannot
    wrap m,y brain around this.

    There is an ASP page. It refers to an ActiveX control which is delivered to
    the client.

    <OBJECT ID="CRViewer"
    CLASSID="CLSID:C4847596-972C-11D0-9567-00A0C9273C2A"
    WIDTH=100% HEIGHT=95%
    codebase="ClientBin/activexviewer.cab#Version=8,5,0,217" VIEWASTEXT>
    <PARAM NAME="EnableRefreshButton" VALUE=0>
    <PARAM NAME="EnableGroupTree" VALUE=1>
    <PARAM NAME="DisplayGroupTree" VALUE=1>
    <PARAM NAME="EnablePrintButton" VALUE=1>
    <PARAM NAME="EnableExportButton" VALUE=1>
    <PARAM NAME="EnableDrillDown" VALUE=1>
    <PARAM NAME="EnableSearchControl" VALUE=1>
    <PARAM NAME="EnableAnimationControl" VALUE=1>
    <PARAM NAME="EnableZoomControl" VALUE=1>
    </OBJECT>

    So there is a CAB file called ActiveXViewer which contains CRViewer.dll. IE
    somehow knows to find the necessary component(s) and if not found download
    from the server. How does it do this? Look to see if the specified classid
    is registered? If the cab is updated, how does the new package get down to
    the client?

    I have a total mind block when it comes to ActiveX controls on the client in
    a web app.

    Thanks.

    Stephanie Stowe, Nov 10, 2004

  2. RE: ActiveX Control within an ASP app delivered to the client (wrong g

    "Stephanie Stowe" wrote:
    > I think I have asked this before. But I cannot see it on Google. I cannot
    > wrap m,y brain around this.
    >
    > There is an ASP page. It refers to an ActiveX control which is delivered to
    > the client.
    >
    > <OBJECT ID="CRViewer"
    > CLASSID="CLSID:C4847596-972C-11D0-9567-00A0C9273C2A"
    > WIDTH=100% HEIGHT=95%
    > codebase="ClientBin/activexviewer.cab#Version=8,5,0,217" VIEWASTEXT>
    > <PARAM NAME="EnableRefreshButton" VALUE=0>
    > <PARAM NAME="EnableGroupTree" VALUE=1>
    > <PARAM NAME="DisplayGroupTree" VALUE=1>
    > <PARAM NAME="EnablePrintButton" VALUE=1>
    > <PARAM NAME="EnableExportButton" VALUE=1>
    > <PARAM NAME="EnableDrillDown" VALUE=1>
    > <PARAM NAME="EnableSearchControl" VALUE=1>
    > <PARAM NAME="EnableAnimationControl" VALUE=1>
    > <PARAM NAME="EnableZoomControl" VALUE=1>
    > </OBJECT>
    >
    > So there is a CAB file called ActiveXViewer which contains CRViewer.dll. IE
    > somehow knows to find the necessary component(s) and if not found download
    > from the server. How does it do this?

    codebase tells IE where to get the component.

    > Look to see if the specified classid is registered?

    Yep.

    > If the cab is updated, how does the new package get down to
    > the client?

    That's where Version=8,5,0,217 comes in. If it sees a newer version, IE
    gets it.

    Tom Kaminski [MVP], Nov 10, 2004

  3. Re: ActiveX Control within an ASP app delivered to the client (wrong g

    "Tom Kaminski [MVP]" <tomk (A@T) mvps (D.O.T) org> wrote in message
    > "Stephanie Stowe" wrote:
    > > I think I have asked this before. But I cannot see it on Google. I

    cannot
    > > wrap m,y brain around this.
    > >
    > > There is an ASP page. It refers to an ActiveX control which is delivered

    > > the client.
    > >
    > > <OBJECT ID="CRViewer"
    > > CLASSID="CLSID:C4847596-972C-11D0-9567-00A0C9273C2A"
    > > WIDTH=100% HEIGHT=95%
    > > codebase="ClientBin/activexviewer.cab#Version=8,5,0,217" VIEWASTEXT>
    > > <PARAM NAME="EnableRefreshButton" VALUE=0>
    > > <PARAM NAME="EnableGroupTree" VALUE=1>
    > > <PARAM NAME="DisplayGroupTree" VALUE=1>
    > > <PARAM NAME="EnablePrintButton" VALUE=1>
    > > <PARAM NAME="EnableExportButton" VALUE=1>
    > > <PARAM NAME="EnableDrillDown" VALUE=1>
    > > <PARAM NAME="EnableSearchControl" VALUE=1>
    > > <PARAM NAME="EnableAnimationControl" VALUE=1>
    > > <PARAM NAME="EnableZoomControl" VALUE=1>
    > > </OBJECT>
    > >
    > > So there is a CAB file called ActiveXViewer which contains CRViewer.dll.

    IE
    > > somehow knows to find the necessary component(s) and if not found

    download
    > > from the server. How does it do this?

    > codebase tells IE where to get the component.
    >
    > > Look to see if the specified classid is registered?

    > Yep.
    >
    > > If the cab is updated, how does the new package get down to
    > > the client?

    > That's where Version=8,5,0,217 comes in. If it sees a newer version, IE
    > gets it.

    Sweet. Thanks.

    Stephanie Stowe, Nov 10, 2004